CHURCH OF ST MATTHEW

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: I

List Entry Number: 1355366

Date first listed: 01-Feb-1967

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MATTHEW, STATION ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MATTHEW
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1355366 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Dec-2018 at 23:48:53.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MATTHEW, STATION ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Warwickshire

District: Stratford-on-Avon (District Authority)

Parish: Salford Priors

National Grid Reference: SP 07732 50997

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SPO5SE SALFORD PRIORS STATION ROAD (South side) Church of St. Matthew. 5/113 01/02/67

- I

Church. Nave and tower C12. Chancel and addition to nave C13. South aisle enlarged c.1340. Tower heightened and enlarged either in C15, or C17: dated 1633 on south wall. Nave north wall rebuilt, porch added and restoration c.1874. Organ chamber 1894. Lias with some limestone and limestone dressings. Chancel and aisle coursed rubble, tower regular coursed with ashlar buttresses, nave north wall rough ashlar with quoins. Tile roofs. Nave, chancel, south aisle and west tower. Mid C12 Romanesque north doorway: decorated shafts, left capital of ribbed bands, right of 2 decorated scallops. Chevron arch and tympanum with bands of stars, scales and rossettes. C19 door. Porch with coped gable, buttresses and hood mould. Nave has re-set windows. Three C13 lancets, and fine 3-light Decorated window with flowing tracery. Lower, wider chancel also has Early English lancets: one to south, 3 to north, with small rectangular low side window below westernmost. String course below windows, inside also, carried over 2-centred arched door as hood mould. East wall has 3-stopped individual lancets, with irregular relieving arch of thin voussoirs. South aisle has Decorated doorway of 2-orders and hood mould with carved heads. Three 2-light Decorated windows, the westernmost square headed with pierced spandrels, and C19 door below. Parapet on moulded cornice, and 3 fine original carved gargoyles. Projecting octagonal turret rising above roof: niche on south side has canopied head with trefoiled ogee arch and ribbed soffit; C19 statue brought from elsewhere. Aisle west wall has tall 2- light straight-headed Decorated blank windows with receses behind, possibly re- set. Tower in 2 stages. First stage with clasping buttresses, Romanesque west window with chevron arch, and 2 small C12 windows high up on north and west. 2nd stage has 2-light Perpendicular bell openings, with string courses at sill and springing of arches. Embattled parapet and pinnacles. Interior: plastered walls. Rere arches to all lancets. Chancel east lancets have detached shafts with rings. Chancel has C19 panelled wagon roof with carved angels below. Late C19 reredos and encaustic tile paving. Fine C17 wall monuments of the Clarke family. Dame Margaret, Thomas and Walter, erected c.1631: big tablet with 18- coats of arms and small figure. Margaret Clarke c.1640: kneeling figure in niche. Lady Dorothea c.1669: coloured semi-reclining figure, steep pediment and black columns. 3 other C17 wall monuments in nave, and aisle, stone coffin lid of Sir Simon Clarke, died 1637. Early English chancel arch. Nave has wagon roof and clerestory of 4 cusped curvilinear triangles. 4-bay arcade. 3-bays later C12: narrow 2-centred arches with heads at apex, wide stretches of wall between, and responds of multi-scalloped capitals. Easternmost C13 arch wider. Aisle has lean-to roof, panelled with moulded beams on corbels, Some fragments of carved woodwork from pulpit. Turret is noted as having newel staircase with C14 moulded capital at top and extra shaft above. Fittings: nave and aisle have west screens of c.1874, originally open, but with panels of good C19 stained galss re-used and fixed behind the openings, and others set into a glazed screen in the tower arch. C19 and C20 stained glass in many windows. The south turret may have been a beacon to guide travellers using the ford across the Avon. (Buildings of England). The north window is said to be ' one of the major Decorated windows of Warwickshire.' (Buildings of England). V.C.H. Warwickshire III pp.161-4: Buildings of England: Warwickshire pp.392-393 [Kelly's Directory ofBirmingham, Staffordshire, Warwickshire and Worcestershire 1884 p.851.)

Listing NGR: SP0773251000

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 305126

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Warwick, (1945), 161-4
Pevsner, N, Wedgwood, A, The Buildings of England: Warwickshire, (1966), 392-3
'Kellys Directory' in Birmingham Staffordshire and Warwickshire, (1884), 851

End of official listing