CHURCH OF ST MILBURGA

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1355369
Date first listed:
01-Feb-1967
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MILBURGA

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MILBURGA
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1355369 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Sep-2019 at 04:43:02.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MILBURGA

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Warwickshire
District:
Stratford-on-Avon (District Authority)
Parish:
Wixford
National Grid Reference:
SP 09000 54940

Details

SPO5SE WIXFORD

Church of St. Milburga 5/124 01/02/67

GV II*

Church. C12 and C13. South chapel c.1400. Restored c.1881, timber porch and bell turret probably of that date. Regular coursed lias with limestone dressings and irregular quoins. Chapel has alternating thick and thin courses. Old tile roofs, with some C20 tile to north, and C19 coped gables. Nave and chancel in one, south chapel and porch, west turret. Medieval ribbed and studded south door in corner between nave and chapel, set in Romanesque door- way with simple arch and shafts with cushion capitals. Very simple Romanesque north door, blocked. Nave has Early English lancets, one to south, 2 to west, one to north-east. North side has two 2-light C19 Decorated windows. Single west buttress. Turret with 2 Perpendicular traceried openings to each face. Chancel has simple Decorated east window and a straight-headed 2-light Decorated south window with hood mould, probably renewed. To the north one lancet and a window of 2 tiny steep lancets with a shaft and head, cut from a single block of yellow Campden stone, possibly C12 or earlier. Perpendicular chapel with much restored 5-light east window, straight headed 2 and 3-light windows and a small door to the south. Interior: boarded wagon roofs panelled with thin ribs and carved bosses, and 2 decorative roof arches of thin elaborate Gothic openwork to chancel, probably early C19. Chancel has decorated piscina with plain canopy curving forward and nodding ogee arch opening. Early C15 oak screens: lower part of chancel screen and part of side screen to chapel survive and have moulded rail and muntins. C19 encaustic tile floor. 2-bay Perpendicular arcade with octagonal piers to chapel. Chapel has fragments of old stained glass re-set in windows. Piscina with embattled top. Brass: chest tomb in centre of chapel with very fine brasses to Thomas de Cruwe (died 1411) and his wife. Figures under ogee-headed canopies with inscriptions, badges and coats of arms, all intact. Very finely detailed . Said to be 'the finest brasses in the County' (Buildings of England). 2 small late C16 memorial brasses. Nave has C19 font. (V.C.H. Warwickshire III p.191; Buildings of England: Warwickshire pp. 475-476; tlelly's Directory of Birmingham, Staffordshire, Warwickshire and Worcestershire 1884 p.908).

Listing NGR: SP0900054940

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
305138
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Warwick, (1945), 191
Pevsner, N, Wedgwood, A, The Buildings of England: Warwickshire, (1966), 475-476
'Kellys Directory' in Birmingham Staffordshire and Warwickshire, (1884), 908

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 23 Nov 2001
Reference: IOE01/06002/05
Rights: Copyright IoE Mrs H. Margaret Nilsson. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected]land.org.uk.