ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH OF SAINT PETER PAUL AND ELIZABETH

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1355381
Date first listed:
11-Dec-1969
Statutory Address:
ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH OF SAINT PETER PAUL AND ELIZABETH

Map

Ordnance survey map of ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH OF SAINT PETER PAUL AND ELIZABETH
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1355381 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Oct-2019 at 05:54:46.

Location

Statutory Address:
ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH OF SAINT PETER PAUL AND ELIZABETH

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Warwickshire
District:
Stratford-on-Avon (District Authority)
Parish:
Coughton
National Grid Reference:
SP 08363 60403

Details

COUGHTON SP06SE 1/153 Roman Catholic Church of 11/12/69 Saints Peter, Paul and Elizabeth

GV II*

Roman Catholic Church. Built for Throckmorton family 1853. Designed by Charles Hansom 1851. Regular coursed limestone. Tile roof with crested ridge tiles and coped gables. Wide nave, chancel and north chapel, south-west turret and south porch. Gothic Revival. Decorated style. 5-bay nave, 2-bay chancel and chapel. West front has arched double-leaf doors with hood mould and stops. 3-light traceried east and west windows, with hood mould and head stops. Tall thin south-west turret starts square but turns octagonal. Top has trefoil openings and gargoyles and pyramidal roof. Double-chamfered arched south doorway with double-leaf doors. South porch has coped gables and buttresses flush with front. Arch with hood mould and head stops. Nave has 2-light traceried windows throughout. North chapel has diagonal and single buttresses with 2-light traceried windows. North porch in angle of stone, timber and glass. Single-storey link to priest's house has tall central gable, shouldered door and casements. Interior: plastered walls throughout. Nave has scissor brace roof. West gallery. Chancel arch without imposts. Chancel has panelled wagon roof with good painted and stencilled decoration. Carved stone altar and reredos. 2-bay arcade to chapel has round shaft. Chapel has plain panelled wagon roof. Fittings: Piscina and seat. Stone pulpit and font with relief carvings; font rests on 5 colonettes. Stained glass: Some original glass in nave, chapel east window, and chancel east window attributed to Hardman (Buildings of England). A good, little altered example of a C19 Catholic Church. (V.C.H.: Warwickshire, Vol.III, p.74; Kelly's Directory of Birmingham, Staffordshire, Warwickshire and Worcestershire, 1884, p.737).



Listing NGR: SP0836360403

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
305316
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Warwick, (1945), 74
'Kellys Directory' in Birmingham Staffordshire and Warwickshire, (1884), 737

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 27 Jun 2006
Reference: IOE01/15717/21
Rights: Copyright IoE Helmut Schulenburg. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].