CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: I

List Entry Number: 1355583

Date first listed: 30-May-1967

Date of most recent amendment: 08-Apr-1987

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL, CHURCH HILL

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1355583 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Nov-2018 at 05:07:31.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL, CHURCH HILL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Warwickshire

District: Stratford-on-Avon (District Authority)

Parish: Warmington

National Grid Reference: SP 40976 47483

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WARMINGTON CHURCH HILL SP4047 (South side) 9/186 Church of St. Michael 30/05/67 (Formerly listed as Church of St. Michael or St. Nicholas)

GV I

Church. C12 nave; late C13 south aisle, early/mid C14 north aisle, chancel, vestry and priest's room; C14 and C15 tower. Regular coursed ironstone. Tile roofs with coped gable parapets; nave and aisles have moulded parapets. Aisled nave, chancel, west tower, north and south porches, north vestry and priest's room. Decorated style. 3-bay nave and aisles, 3-bay chancel. Chancel has plinth and sill courses, splayed to east, moulded to south. Buttresses with offsets. Renewed 4-light east window has Decorated tracery and old hood mould with fragments of head stops. Hood moulds throughout. Tracery largely renewed. South side has ogee-arched priest door of 2 moulded orders. 2 eastern square-headed windows of cinqfoiled round-arched lights with sunk spandrels. Narrow 2-light square-headed western window has reticulated tracery. Hood moulds. Main entrance on south side. South porch has diagonal buttresses. Arch of 2 hollow-chamfered and moulded orders. Stone benches inside. Fine late c13 Decorated south doorway of many orders of hollow chamfers, roll mouldings and fillets, C19 studded door has old strap hinges. South aisle has diagonal buttress. East end has splayed plinth. 3-light east window has bar tracery of 3 circles. South side has 2-light eastern window similar to those of chancel, but with roll-moulded mullions. 2-light western window has cusped Y-tracery. 3-light west window has Geometric tracery with roll-moulded tracery. North porch has diagonal buttresses. Doorway of 2 chamfered orders. North doorway of 2 moulded orders with C19 plank door. North aisle has splayed plinth to east. East angle and west diagonal buttresses. 3-light east window has 2 lancets and wider shorter lancet and starred circle. North side has 2 ogee-arched 2-light eastern windows with curvilinear tracery. Western window has Y-tracery. 3 west window of 3 trefoiled ogee lights. 2-storey vestry and priest's room has splayed plinth, stepped down on north side. North buttresses rise into crocketed pinnacles flanking north gable. East side has barred moulded square window, possibly formerly mullioned, and 2-light window above. North side has similar square window. First floor has 2-light Decorated window with blind tracery. North-west re-entrant angle has stair projection. Tower of 3 stages. Double-splayed plinth and string courses continued across diagonal buttresses to 2 stages. West door has 2 chamfered and moulded orders. C19 ribbed door. Decorated west window of 2 trefoiled lights. 2-light Perpendicular bell openings have old stone louvres. Cornice and parapet. Interior: chancel is plastered. Largely renewed piscina has wide trefoiled ogee arch and triangular shafts with battlements and pinnacles. 3 heavily restored sedilia have cinqfoiled crocketed ogee arches and triangular detached shafts with carved heads, battlements and pinnacles; gables to left and right. Ogee north doorway of 3 moulded orders, and hood mould. C16/C17 latticed back plank door. Small ogee lancet to priest's chamber has old iron grille and board shutter. C19 arched braced roof with carved heads and stone corbels, ashlar posts and moulded wallplates C13. Chancel arch of 2 moulded orders with central fillet. Simple moulded impost and low responds. Nave has 3-bay arcades. East bays similar to chancel arch. The other bays are Transitional with circular piers and responds, and scalloped capitals. The north arcade has square unmoulded arches with square hood mould. and low square pedestals. The south arcade has slightly chamfered arches, much larger and deeper capitals and roll-moulded bases on high square pedestals. C19 wagon roof with ashlar posts. Tower built a little way into nave. Very tall tower arch of 2 chamfered orders, the outer segmental-pointed, the inner dying into the wall. South aisle has upper 4-centred east doorway and steps to former rood loft. Aisles have C19 wagon roofs. Vestry has east piscina with trefoiled ogee head and hood mould. Stone winder stairs to priest's chamber, with old lattice-backed plank doors at top and bottom. Priest's room has plain square-headed former fireplace. Mid/late C19 two-bay barrel arched braced roof. Fittings: front possibly C13. Cylindrical bowl with roll moulding and square roll-moulded stem. Lower part of C15 oak screen has moulded martins and traceried panels. Pulpit of 1871. Pews, altar rails, and encaustic tile sanctuary floor of c.1870. Stained glass: east window 1870; chancel south east and central windows c.1889 and 1890. Nave and aisles floor raised late C20. (V.C.H. Warwickshire; Vol.5, pp.184-7; Buildings of England: Warwickshire, pp.441-442).

Listing NGR: SP4097347484

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 306297

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, Page, W , The Victoria History of the County of Warwick, (1949), 184-7
Pevsner, N, Wedgwood, A, The Buildings of England: Warwickshire, (1966), 441-442

End of official listing