CHURCH OF CHARLTON ALL SAINTS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1355720
Date first listed:
04-Jul-1985
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF CHARLTON ALL SAINTS

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF CHARLTON ALL SAINTS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1355720 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Sep-2019 at 20:14:00.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF CHARLTON ALL SAINTS

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Downton
National Grid Reference:
SU 17627 24095

Details

DOWNTON CHARLTON ALL SAINTS SU 12 SE (west side) 4/51 Church of Charlton All Saints

II

Anglican parish church. 1851 by T. H. Wyatt, north transept added 1891. Header bond brick with some knapped flint, tiled roof. Early English style. Consists of nave, chancel, south porch and north transept. Gabled south porch has coped verge and buttresses, double-chamfered pointed arched doorway with hoodmould and angel terminals, lancet to east side with foliated terminals. South side of nave has one lancet to left of porch and one pair and two lancets to right, all hollow-chamfered with hoodmoulds and latticed leading. Dentilled eaves, angle buttresses. South side of chancel has two lancets and string course at sill level, gutter supported on stone corbels. East end has group of three stepped lancets with one hoodmould, trefoil to gable. North side has one lancet, north transept has moulded lancet with foliated terminals to east side, 2-light plate-tracery window to north and pointed west door with continuous roll moulding. North side of nave has one single, a pair and two lancets, similar details to south side. West end has central buttress and lancet either side, with multifoil over. Stone coped verges to roof, cresting to ridge, shone western bellcote with two pointed openings and central shaft. Interior has 5-bay nave with arch-braced collar truss roof, plain plastered walls. Double-chamfered chancel arch with octagonal responds, chancel has plain raftered ceiling, heavy elliptical arch to organ chamber and vestry in north transept. All original fittings; pews, choir stalls, and good brass oil lamps with wrought iron fittings, suspended from roof. Two piscina in chancel. Font by Butterfield at west end of nave was given to commemorate the death of Henry, son of the 2nd Earl Nelson in 1863. Some good stained glass, especially the west windows by William Morris and Company Limited, depicting St. Andrew and St. John, in memory of Horatio the 3rd Earl Nelson, died 1913. Glass in south windows of nave by Mayers and Company of Munich and London, 1891. (N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England, Wiltshire, 1975 VCH,Wiltshire, Vol XI, 1980, p. 58)

Listing NGR: SU1762724095

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
319610
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Crowley, B A, The Victoria History of the County of Wiltshire, (1980), 58
Pevsner, N , The Buildings of England: Wiltshire, (1975)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 11 May 2001
Reference: IOE01/05390/14
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Peter J Ellis. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].