- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- LONGFORD CASTLE
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1355742.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 21-Oct-2020 at 09:31:06.
- Statutory Address:
- LONGFORD CASTLE
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- SU 17140 26670
SU 12 NE ODSTOCK LONGFORD PARK
5/141 Longford Castle
Large house. 1591 by Thomas Gorges, C18 remodelling including James Wyatt's 1796 hexagon scheme, for 2nd Earl of Radnor, partially executed by D. A. Alexander 1802-17, restoration and additions of 1870's by A. Salvin for 4th Earl of Radnor. Chilmark stone with flint bands, Westmorland slate roofs, lead domes to stair turrets, ashlar stacks. Elizabethan triangular plan, two towers and linking wings added C19 to east. 3-storey, 11-window symmetrical entrance front to north-west, restored by Salvin. Central round-arched door, 5-bay loggias to ground and first floors with recessed second floor over, to sides are projecting bays of 2 windows with central niches, linked by recessed bay to 3-storey flanking round towers, the left one altered by Salvin with basement, the right original. All cross windows, decorative features include caryatids, string courses, pilasters and three Dutch gables. Circular stacks in groups of five. Towers have battlemented parapets with stacks. South or garden front entirely rebuilt by Salvin in C17 style, 1876; 3-storey, 9-window symmetrical front with flanking towers; 2 round-arched doors to left and right, cross windows to ground and first floors, five 3-light mullioned windows to second floor, string courses, two projecting bays with Dutch gables, central recessed bay with balustraded parapet, tall square stacks with circular stacks to flanking towers. Attached to right is one storey, 2-window range by Salvin, linking south-east tower to Alexander's east tower reduced by one storey in 1950's; windows to both are mullioned and transomed. East and north ranges and north tower by Alexander, altered by Salvin: Tower in banded stone and flint, ranges are buff-coloured Flemish bond brick, 2-storey east range with basement has cross windows, formerly 5 bays but partly demolished after 1949 fire. North range is 5-bay service wing with 3-light mullioned and transomed windows, 2-storey and basement with prominent glacis. Interior: Original Elizabethan fittings include three circular stair turrets with stone spiral stairs, in angles of central triangular court, south-west tower has wainscot panelling and carved stone overmantel depicting Vulcan to ground floor, former chapel to first floor has fine ribbed vaulted ceiling with central pendant, carved overmantel of c1600 depictng Orpheus, but from elsewhere. C18 fittings in Picture Gallery of 1730s and Green Drawing Room of c1741, fine Rysbrack fire surround and overmantel of 1744 in ground floor of south-east tower, composite capitals to black marble columns in chapel, by H. Barrell. Extensive refitting and rearrangement of interior by Salvin; glass dome covering of central court and wrought-iron galleries at first floor, many marble fireplaces and fine 6-panelled mahogany doors, ribbed plaster ceilings replacing C18 plasterwork. Original hall was in position of present billiard room, to right of front door. Gorges's house completed by 1591 and probably influenced by Tresham's Lodge at Rushton begun 1580. House depicted in series of plans and drawings by Thacker in 1680s when owned by Lord Coleraine, sold to Bouveries in 1717 and remained with them until present day. Surrounding park partly landscaped by Capability Brown. (J. Cornforth, Country Life Annual 1968, N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England: Wiltshire, 1975, Unpublished records of RCHM (England, Salisbury).
Listing NGR: SU1719226723
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Cornforth, J , Country Life Annual, (1968)
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Wiltshire, (1975)
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 46 Wiltshire,
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing