GROUNDWELL HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1355964

Date first listed: 20-Sep-1979

Statutory Address: GROUNDWELL HOUSE, SWINDON-CRICKLADE ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of GROUNDWELL HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1355964 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Nov-2018 at 12:10:45.

Location

Statutory Address: GROUNDWELL HOUSE, SWINDON-CRICKLADE ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Swindon (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Blunsdon St. Andrew

National Grid Reference: SU 15171 89031

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BLUNSDON ST ANDREW SU 18 NE SWINDON-CRICKLADE ROAD 8/71 Groundwell House II shall be amended to read

A SU 18 NE

8/71 SWINDON-CRICKLADE ROAD 20.9.79 Groundwell House

II House. Prooably late C17 or early C18 incorporating earlier features; added to and altered C19 and C20. Rubblestone brought to course with ashlar dressings; additions have red brick dressings. Mid C19 Welsh slate roof. Original range square on plan, 2 rooms deep, of 2 storeys with attic and partial cellar and 5 x 5 bays. 2-storey wing added to rear left, early to mid C19, in 2 builds; and a single-storey C20 brick addition to Left side, not of special interest. The original range has quoins, chamfered plinth and the original windows are nollow-moulded cross-windows with hoodmoulds, and relieving arches on ground floor. Entrance elevation: central door of 6 raised and fielded panels in moulded architrave with tripartite keystone and console-bracketed pediment flanked by ends of later tie-rods. Altered windows have 4-pane sashes (except for 2-pane sash to 1st floor of bay 2) in keyed plain stone surrounds (tne sills lower than those of the original windows). Moulded cornice. 3 gabled dormers. Hipped roof with central valley in which rise 2 stacks. Rear: on left a 2-light nollow-moulded stone mullioned cellar window; on ground floor a C19 2-lignt window to left and on right a low-level 3-light ovolo-moulded wooden-mullioned window, both having timber lintels; on right a C19 round-arched stair window, having 4-pane sash and fanlight with intersecting glazing bars; rignt bay masked by wing addition, but old attic window with hoodmould is visible. Right return: to right of centre a 2-light hollow-moulded st.one.-mullioned cellar window; two ground-floor windows, that on right a later 3-light, timber-lintelled, window, that on left and the 4 above all original, except for 4-pane sash to first 1st floor of right bay; windows of oay 1 blind, and that on ground floor with date"1757" incised on left jamb: one gaoled dormer; Left return: original windows, those of two right bays blind, the mullions and transoms removed from 2 left-nand windows on 1st floor; one gabled dormer. On left, wing has brick quoins and crick surrounds to segmental arcned openings; 3-light window and board door to left-hand section (former cheese room) two 3-light windows and board door with 2-light window above to right-hand section; roof hipped at left end and with stack between sections. Interior: cellar windows have iron stanchions and wooden lintels; on ground floor, rear right room has large-scantling chamfered beans with stapped cyma stops, and rear left room has early C17 (or earlier) -style moulded Tudor-arcned fireplace, the lintel partly replaced in concrete and the original lintel said to have been aated '1660' on right corner; on 1st floor, rear left room has anotner moulded Tudor-arched fireplace; some old doors. Dog-leg stair has wave-moulded soffits to treads, pilastered and corniced dado; balustrade removed. Old floor boards in attic. Roof nas old principal rafters, collars, and staggered butt purlins, but rafters replaced.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. 5410 BLUNSDON ST ANDREW SWINDON-CRICKLADE ROAD Groundwell House SU 18 NE 8/71

II

2. Present house circa 1700, altered mid C19. Two and a half storeys. Rubble with mid C19 slate hipped roof. Chamfered plinth. Wooden eaves cornice. Side elevations retain cross mullion windows with labels and relieving arches although a number altered. Front has 5 windows, plate glass sashes with keystones, first floor has timber lintels, ground floor relieving arches, possibly the front always had sashes. Three gabled dormers. Central pedimented doorcase on brackets, bold keys to door surround. Six panel (raised and fielded) door. Coach-house attached to north-west, a later (mid C19) rubble building with gabled entrances. Interior: a fine high stop chamfered Tudor arch fireplace in first floor west room. Balusters of staircase damaged. large round headed later stair window. Some panelling fragments.

Listing NGR: SU1517189031

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 318244

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing