ELM STREET SCHOOL (COUNTY PRIMARY SCHOOL)

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1356229
Date first listed:
19-Sep-1969
Statutory Address:
ELM STREET SCHOOL (COUNTY PRIMARY SCHOOL), ELM STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of ELM STREET SCHOOL (COUNTY PRIMARY SCHOOL)
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1356229 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2019 at 09:37:58.

Location

Statutory Address:
ELM STREET SCHOOL (COUNTY PRIMARY SCHOOL), ELM STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Rochdale (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SD 88382 05948

Details

MIDDLETON ELM STREET SD 80 NE (west side) 2/7 Elm Street School (County Primary 19/9/69 School) - II* School. 1908-10. By Edgar Wood and J. Henry Sellers. Brick with stone dressings and concrete roofs. 9-bay hall with towers at either end forms the centre of the design. Cloisters extend forward to meet Elm Street at left and right (boys and girls) and enclose a formally planned garden and a suite of offices which have a concaved single-storey facade. Beyond the arms of cloisters are parallel ranges of classrooms and a long range adjoins the hall at the rear. The design is compactly planned along formal lines. The hall has 9 round-arched windows with impost blocks and keystones to front and rear. The hipped roof sits behind a coped parapet which steps above a recessed brick panel in each bay, a feature which is repeated elsewhere. Towers to left and right with stone top stages form dominant features. The cross-vaulted cloisters have entrances on Elm Street with rusticated segmental arches and banded corner pilasters.Some of the arches have been blocked and only one set of cast- iron gates remains. The concaved office front has a series of flat-faced stone mullion windows (many leaded casements have been removed) on either side of central double doors. The classroom ranges to either side and to the rear (of 6 and 21 bays respectively) have segmental-arched windows with stone sills and are articulated by advanced bays which have a higher parapet level. Small later additions to left and right. Interior: many original features survive including doors and a moulded plaster ceiling to the hall. The school was designed to established new standards of hygiene in educaton and was the first municipal school (along with Durnford Street School, q.v.) in Middleton. The building is technically and architecturally advanced, the use of reinforced concrete allowing more freedom of planning. J.H.G. Archer, "Edgar Wood (1860-1935)" Transactions of the Lancashire and Cheshire Antiquarian Society, vol. 73-4, 1963-4.

Listing NGR: SD8838205948

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
213447
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Archer, J H G, 'Transactions of the Lancashire and Cheshire Antiquarian Society' in Edgar Wood 1960-1935, (1964)
Archer, J H G, 'Transactions of the Lancashire and Cheshire Antiquarian Society' in Edgar Wood 1960-1935, (1964)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 01 Aug 2007
Reference: IOE01/16577/24
Rights: Copyright IoE Ms Pamela Jackson. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].