CHURCH OF ST ANNE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1356418
Date first listed:
06-May-1987
Date of most recent amendment:
06-Oct-1987
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ANNE, ST ANNES STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST ANNE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1356418 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Oct-2019 at 23:27:53.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ANNE, ST ANNES STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Oldham (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SD 91990 07049

Details

1477/4/49

ROYTON, ST ANNES STREET, CHURCH OF ST ANNE

06-MAY-1987

II*

Also Known As: Church of St Anne, ST ANNE'S AVENUE Church. 1908-09, tower 1926-27. By Temple Moore, tower completed by Leslie Moore to Temple Moore's design. Snecked stone with clay tile roof. Nave, chancel and aisle passages all under one roof. Shallow north organ transept balanced by a south tower. Lean-to baptistry and porches against west end and flat-roofed Lady Chapel at east end. Free Gothic style. 4-bay nave and chancel with plain buttresses and 1, 3 and 1-light windows with reticulated tracery in each bay. The chancel windows are given more elaboration. Gabled organ chamber and unbuttressed 5-stage tower with corner stair turret, bands separating each stage, 4-light second stage window, 2-light flat-headed mullion windows with hoodmoulds and castellations. The Lady Chapel (appearing externally to be the chancel) has a coped parapet, flat buttresses, C17- style mullioned clerestory windows, a rose window, and is flanked by lean-to vestries.

INTERIOR: ashlar sandstone dressings. Ceiled wagon roof is decoratively painted. Wide nave arcade arches on square columns subtly enclosing the aisle windows which are above seated recesses under round arches. The aisle passages continue along the chancel till reaching the east wall which is pierced by three arches, the outer two giving access to the Lady Chapel. The arches are echoed at the west, where they have been glazed in and the former baptistery turned into a narthex/meeting room. The stone font has been moved to the south east corner of the nave. Timber fittings include a fine pulpit and two banks of choir stalls fronted by carved screens. Painted reredos and stained glass in the Lady Chapel also designed by the architect.

An outstanding example of Temple Moore's radical approach to early C20 revivalism.

Brandwood, GK, Temple Moore, 1997, p.82.







Listing NGR: SD9199007049

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
212453
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 31 May 2007
Reference: IOE01/16490/12
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Brian Lomas. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].