CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1356436

Date first listed: 01-Nov-1966

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS, WAR HILL

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1356436 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Nov-2018 at 01:26:48.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS, WAR HILL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Tameside (Metropolitan Authority)

National Grid Reference: SJ 99431 95293

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SJ 99 NE LONGDENDALE WAR HILL

4/86 Church of St. Michael and 1.11.66 All Angels

G.V. II*

Church. C15, the tower of c.1486. The interior, vestry and clerestory by Shellard 1854. Hammer-dressed stone with ashlar clerestory and graduated stone slate roof. Nave with aisles, aisle chapels, south porch and west tower. Chancel and north vestry. Perpendicular style. 6 bay aisle (and chapel) with porch in bay 2. Weathered plinth and castellated parapet. Each bay has a weathered buttress and stepped 3-light window with cusped head and dripmould which is terminated in carved heads. The porch has a 4-centred arch opening, angled buttresses and castellation. 6-bay clerestory with windows of a similar design. 4-stage tower with angled weathered buttresses, stone bands,castellated parapet and crocketed corner finials. 3-light west window with Perpendicular tracery, clock face above and 2-light belfry openings. Stair turret in one corner. 2-bay chancel with 5-light transomed Perpendicular-style east window and vestry to north. Interior: nave arcade on octagonal columns with moulded heads. Braced tie-beam nave roof and arch- braced chancel trusses which are supported on enriched corbels. High Victorian alabaster pulpit by H. Hems (1885). Former painted reredos above chancel arch. Chandelier (1755). Stained glass. Barrel-shaped stone font.Monuments: 2 early C15 recumbent stone effigies in Staveleigh chapel (south). Reginald Bretland (1703), semi-reclining figure on supporting plinth with latin text. Also inscribed slab to John Pycton, rector (1517) - defaced and no longer visible. A well positioned church which retains much of its Medieval character externally and dominates the skyline for miles around.

Listing NGR: SJ9943195293

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 212546

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing