- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- DUNHAM HALL
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1356512.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 17-Nov-2019 at 22:38:53.
- Statutory Address:
- DUNHAM HALL
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Trafford (Metropolitan Authority)
- Dunham Massey
- National Grid Reference:
- SJ 73488 87422
SJ 78 NW DUNHAM MASSEY DUNHAM PARK
6/83 5.3.59 Dunham Hall
Great House. Mainly of 1732-40 by John Norris for George Booth, 2nd Earl of Warrington, but with service court of c.1721 and alterations of 1905-7 by Compton Hall including the centrepiece of the south front. Flemish bond brick with stone dressings and green slate roofs. Double courtyard house. The South front of 11 bays was of 3 storeys until 1905 when it was made more C17 in character by the reduction of the 3rd, 4th, 8th and 9th bays to 2 storeys, with dormers, and the addition of the stone pedimented centrepiece of 3 bays with coupled columns flanking the central bay. Modillion eaves cornice. Central coat of arms with motto. "A MA PUISSANCE" (to the utmost of my power) The ground floor windows are sashes with stone. architrave; the first floor similar but with keystones and pediments to bays 1,2,5,7, 10 and 11 and the second floor similar but square shaped. East: 11 bay with stone plinth, plain eaves cornice and coped parapet. Windows generally 12-pane, 16-pane or Victorian sashes with architraves and keystone except for 2 semi-circular headed stair windows. The right 2 bays project, the left 2 are recessed and a 3-bay, 1-storey bow window dominates the facade with its stone step approach. North: almost symmetrical, 13 bays, each end 3 projecting. Stone plinth, eaves cornice and coped parapet. Central doorway with perron has plain surround with pedimented window above with side scrolls. The windows are sashes with architraves and keystones. Bays 10 and 11 were extended in ashlar in 1905 and bays 13 and 14 have mullion and transom windows. Main courtyard: 7 x 4 bays. Central pedimented entrance feature to north and south in ashlar with Ionic pilasters, garland enriched entablature and cross window above with segmental pediment. The north side has 6 full-height 2-light mullion and transom windows; otherwise windows are cross or sash windows. Kitchen courtyard: 7 x 6 bays with a total of 11 mullioned windows on ground floor, 6 doors with stone surrounds and tripartite keystones, 2 oeils-de-boeuf, a segmental arched carriage entrance, 17 sash windows with architraves to first floor and 7 eaves pediments. Interior: The main courtyard is one room deep with a corridor on the inner side of west and south ranges. On the north side is the hall, with plaster ceiling of 1905, above panelling and plaster frieze of the same date, in a C17 style. The overmantel, probably by Mr Boujet, is of the C17. Green saloon has a screen of 4 scagliola columns by John Shaw, 1822. The Chapel has oak panelling, pews and reredos of late C17 and early C18 dates. J. Swarbrick, Transactions of the Lancashire and Cheshire Antiquarian Society, XLII, 1925, pp. 53-78 National Trust, Dunham Massey 1981. BoE.
Listing NGR: SJ7348887422
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Dunham Massey, (1981)
Pevsner, N, Hubbard, E, The Buildings of England: Cheshire, (1971)
'Transactions of the Lancashire and Cheshire Antiquarian Society' in Transactions of the Lancashire and Cheshire Antiquarian Society, , Vol. 42, (1925), 53-78
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 18 Greater Manchester,
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing