ALBERT COTTAGES

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1356652
Date first listed:
27-Sep-1973
Date of most recent amendment:
03-Dec-2002
Statutory Address:
ALBERT COTTAGES, 19-26, DEAL STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of ALBERT COTTAGES
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1356652 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2019 at 09:36:10.

Location

Statutory Address:
ALBERT COTTAGES, 19-26, DEAL STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Greater London Authority
District:
Tower Hamlets (London Borough)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 34158 81954

Details



788/15/470 DEAL STREET 27-SEP-73 (West side) 19-26 Albert Cottages (Formerly listed as: DEAL STREET E1 20-35 Albert Cottages)

GV II



Albert Cottages. 19-26 Albert Cottages. Artisans' dwellings. 1858 for the Metropolitan Association for Improving the Dwellings of the Industrious Classes. Probably designed by Henry Roberts (1803-1876). Row of none houses, formerly each sub-divided into two units. PLAN: recatangular plots with wings to the rear, originally comprising three rooms per floor with sanitary facilities; set back behind small gardens, off a paved forecourt. EXTERIORS: yellow stock brick with red brick door and window surrounds, slate roofs. Each house is two windows wide at the upper floor. Double doors to the ground floor now adapted to single dewelling use. Modern replacement casement windows in place of original sash windows. INTERIORS: not inspected, believed to be considerably altered. HISTORY: the Metropolitan Association purchased the site of Victoria [q.v.] and Albert Cottages in 1850: Albert Cottages were built on the site of the late Georgian Pelham Street, which was demolished in 1857. These small cottages, of a kind more commonly found in the north of England, were intended for small artisan families who were unable to pay the higher rents of the larger family units in those dwellings that were beginning to be built by philanthropic housing bodies at this time. Their low-rise density was critized by their own architect, no less, at the time of construction but they now afford a rare insight into the sort of cottage accommodation once common, now scarce, in the East End. The houses were extensively modernised by the Newlon Housing Trust in the late 1970s. The row opposite, to the south, formed part of the same development but the houses have had their doors moved from the front to the back and are not listed. The houses were illustrated in the 1867 edition of Henry Roberts's 'The Dwellings of the Labouring Classes'. SOURCES: J.M. Tarn, 'Five Per cent Philanthropy' (Cambridge 1973), 26-27; James Stevens Curl, 'The Life and Work of Henry Roberts' (Chichester 1983), 114-115, 196-197.

Listing NGR: TQ3415881954

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
205921
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Curl, J S, The Life and Work of Henry Roberts 1803-1876, (1983), 114-115
Tarn, N , 'The Builder' in Five Per Cent Philanthropy, (1973), 26-27

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 31 Oct 2006
Reference: IOE01/16112/05
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Stephen Richards. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].