- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- THE HOLLANDS, BROOM LANE
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1356673.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 24-Nov-2020 at 15:17:58.
- Statutory Address:
- THE HOLLANDS, BROOM LANE
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Tunbridge Wells (District Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- TQ 54202 38650
TQ 53 NW SPELDHURST BROOM LANE (off)
7/461 The Hollonds 17.3.88
House. 1835-6, built to the designs of Decimus Burton for the Reverend H. Cholmoudeley (Colvin, p.173) with late C19 service blocks (1988 List Description); renovations in progress at time of survey (1989). Stuccoed brick; slate roofs with lead rolls; stacks with rendered shafts.
Plan: Overall double L-plan. The early C19 phase is L-plan. The main range faces south south east, say south, with an entrance on the north side. 3 principal rooms facing south, the entrance into a heated hall with a wide passage along the north side containing the stair. The original kitchen block is in a rear left (north west) wing at right angles. The house was extended by a second L-plan block including service rooms and a coach house at the north west corner of the old kitchen, giving the double L-plan and providing a service/stable courtyard to the rear of the old kitchen.
Exterior: 2 storeys. Shallow hipped slate roofs; stacks with rendered shafts and a variety of chimney-pots including some flared C19 pots; deep projecting moulded cornice below the parapet, platband below the cornice, pineapple finials at the corners of the main block. The entrance (north) elevation is 4 bays, the 2 left hand bays slightly broken forward. Wide Tuscan portico in the first bay from the left with pilasters to the rear; C20 front door with fielded panels below a fanlight with spiders web glazing bars. 4 first floor 4-pane C19 sash windows with moulded architraves; 3 tall ground floor 8-pane sashes with moulded architraves, one window under repair at time of survey. To the right, the return of the early C19 service block is 4 bays with a similar parapet and cornice and a platband at first floor level. 4-pane sash windows with moulded architraves, 3 windows to the ground floor. The garden (south) elevation of the main block is 7 bays with a first floor platband. Tall 4 over 6-pane ground floor sashes in deep reveals with moulded cornices extending to left and right over louvred shutters. 2-light first floor casements. 2-panes per light with moulded floating sills on brackets and louvred shutters. The right (east) return is 3 bays with matching first floor windows. There was a conservatory at the east end of the range. The left (west) return is 3 bays with matching first floor sash, 8-pane in the centre, 4-pane in the outer lights, with a pediment on consoles; blind recesses with moulded architraves to left and right. The old kitchen block to the rear is 2 bays with a slightly lower roof, matching first floor windows, ground floor windows being altered at time of survey, associated with a new conservatory under construction in the angle with the later C19 service wing, facing south. This is 4 bays with similar platbands, parapet and cornices; 4 first floor 2- pane mid/late C19 sashes with margin panes, one ground floor 3 over 6-pane C19 sash, other windows being altered. The late C19 coach house, now absorbed into the house, has a hipped slate roof with an axial stack and faces east into the service/stable yard. Tall segmental-arched doorway in the centre with paired diagonally-boarded doors, flanked by 6 over 9-pane sashes, 2-pane first floor sashes. The rear elevation of the service wing, overlooking the yard, has various C19 sashes and 2 C19 doors. The yard is completed on the east side by rendered walls with square section gate piers with ball finials.
Interior: The principal rooms are well-preserved with original joinery including shutters and doors. The entrance hall has a marble chimney-piece with a round-headed niche over, flanked by pilasters. Original open well, top-lit stair with slender turned balusters and a wreathed handrail. The east room has an Adam style chimney-piece, plaster ceiling rose and cornices with egg-and-dart-and bead and reel mouldings. The centre room has a ceiling rose and a timber chimney-piece with an eared architrave. The west room, probably the original dining room, has an C18 style chimney-piece and a moulded plaster cornice which includes stylized applied flowers as well as bead and reel, guilloche and egg-and-dart mouldings.
An attractive C19 villa with good interior features.
Listing NGR: TQ5420238650
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Colvin, H M, A Biographical Dictionary of British Architects 1600-1840, (1978), 173
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing