NUMBERS 39-47 AND 49-62 AND ATTACHED RAILINGS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1356734
Date first listed:
14-May-1974
Date of most recent amendment:
11-Jan-1999
Statutory Address:
NUMBERS 39-47 AND 49-62 AND ATTACHED RAILINGS, 39-47 AND 49-62, DOUGHTY STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of NUMBERS 39-47 AND 49-62 AND ATTACHED RAILINGS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1356734 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Sep-2019 at 10:11:17.

Location

Statutory Address:
NUMBERS 39-47 AND 49-62 AND ATTACHED RAILINGS, 39-47 AND 49-62, DOUGHTY STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Greater London Authority
District:
Camden (London Borough)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 30786 82188

Details

CAMDEN

TQ3082SE DOUGHTY STREET 798-1/96/311 (East side) 14/05/74 Nos.39-47 AND 49-62 (Consecutive) and attached railings (Formerly Listed as: DOUGHTY STREET Nos.39-62 (Consecutive))

GV II

Terrace of 23 houses, excluding No.48 which is listed separately (qv). Nos 39-46 c1792; Nos 47-62 c1807-9; terrace completed by 1820. No.62 rebuilt in facsimile since 1974. Built by J Wigg, G Slaton and J Wilson. Multi-coloured stock brick most with evidence of tuck pointing; No.45 painted. Plain stucco first-floor sill band. Slate mansard roofs with dormers except Nos 53-55 and 62. Nos 39-47, 49-52 and 56-61: three storeys, attics and dormers. Three windows each; No.39 with four windows (one blind) and three-window return to Guilford Street. Round-arched doorways with panelled or recessed pilaster-jambs, cornice-heads, most with patterned fanlights and panelled doors. Nos 44-47, 49, 51 and 52 have doorways with stuccoed surrounds; Nos 57-61, doorways with Greek Doric engaged columns carrying cornice heads with guttae. Gauged brick flat arches to recessed, mostly 2-pane sashes. Nos 49, 52, 56, 57 and 60 with cast-iron balconies to first-floor windows. Stucco cornices and blocking courses, except No.39. Most houses with original lead rainwater heads and pipes. INTERIORS: not inspected. Nos 53-55 and 62: four storeys and basements. Three windows each, No.62 with 3-window return to Roger Street, plus three-storey three-window extension. Nos 53-54, round-arched doorways with moulded jambs and lion-head stops, cornice-heads and patterned radial fanlights. No.55 has projecting round-arched, rusticated stucco portico with cornice and later C19 doorway. Patterned, half-glazed door and overlight. No.62 has return with projecting Doric porch, part-glazed doors and patterned fanlight. Gauged brick flat arches to recessed sash windows; first-floor with cast-iron balconies. Cornice, continuing from other houses in terrace, at third-floor level. INTERIORS: not inspected but Nos 53-55 noted to have stick baluster stairs. SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: attached cast-iron railings with urn finials to areas. (Survey of London: Vol. XXIV, King's Cross Neighbourhood, Parish of St Pancras, IV: London: -1952: 50-54).



Listing NGR: TQ3077682208

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
477069
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Survey of London' in Survey of London - Kings Cross neighbourhood The Parish of St Pancras Part 4: Volume 24 , (1951), 50,51,52
'Survey of London' in Survey of London - Kings Cross neighbourhood The Parish of St Pancras Part 4: Volume 24 , (1951), 53,54

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 05 Jan 2006
Reference: IOE01/14620/24
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Anthony Rau. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].