ROMAN CATHOLIC ITALIAN CHURCH OF ST PETER AND PRESBYTERY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1356763
Date first listed:
14-May-1974
Statutory Address:
PRESBYTERY TO ROMAN CATHOLIC ITALIAN CHURCH OF ST PETER, 4, BACK HILL
Statutory Address:
ROMAN CATHOLIC ITALIAN CHURCH OF ST PETER, 136, CLERKENWELL ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of ROMAN CATHOLIC ITALIAN CHURCH OF ST PETER AND PRESBYTERY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1356763 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Sep-2019 at 04:48:43.

Location

Statutory Address:
PRESBYTERY TO ROMAN CATHOLIC ITALIAN CHURCH OF ST PETER, 4, BACK HILL
Statutory Address:
ROMAN CATHOLIC ITALIAN CHURCH OF ST PETER, 136, CLERKENWELL ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Greater London Authority
District:
Camden (London Borough)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 31286 82071

Details

CAMDEN

TQ3182SW 798-1/97/262 CLERKENWELL ROAD (North side), No.136, Roman Catholic Italian Church of St Peter

14/05/74,

II*

Includes: No.4 Presbytery to Roman Catholic Italian Church of St Peter BACK HILL. Roman Catholic church. 1862-3. By John Miller Bryson, based on a previous design of 1853 by Francesco Gualandi. Front to Clerkenwell Road with loggia, superstructure and campanile behind by Francis W Tasker, 1891. Exterior of church hidden but of grey stock brick reinforced internally with hoop iron. Red-brick front to Clerkenwell Road has stucco-faced loggia in quattrocento style with two open round arches surmounted by three niches with statues - including St Peter, and upper storey in English Renaissance style with stucco dressings rising to a pediment enclosing papal arms. Loggia interior with vaulted roof and coats of arms above wooden panelled doors and memorials to the First World War and the Arandora Star.

INTERIOR of church has basilican plan based on San Crisogono, Rome, with unfinished nave of six bays, aisles, transepts and three apses facing west. Ionic nave colonnade of stone, painted to resemble marble, carrying entablature surmounted by round-arched tribune (formerly open) and clerestory. Round arches at entrance to chancel and apsidal sanctuary. Baldacchino with marble columns over high altar. Organ at west end on gallery, flanked by piers surmounted by urns installed by Mssrs Walker 1959 incorporating earlier elements. Painted decoration throughout church by two Piedmontese artists, Arnaud and Gauthier, 1885-6, since the 1950s without the surrounding painted architectural framework that formerly enclosed it. Presbytery attached to church also by Bryson but completed by Wylson and Long, 1862-5. Elevation towards Back Hill in Italianate style with stucco dressings. Windows replaced late C20.

Listing NGR: TQ3128682071

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
476992
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 12 Nov 2007
Reference: IOE01/16982/06
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Anthony Rau. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].