HIGHER HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1356810

Date first listed: 29-Jan-1985

Statutory Address: HIGHER HOUSE, MOOR ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of HIGHER HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1356810 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Nov-2018 at 18:15:29.

Location

Statutory Address: HIGHER HOUSE, MOOR ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Bury (Metropolitan Authority)

National Grid Reference: SD 78184 16682

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SD 71 NE, 3/150

MOOR ROAD, Higher House

GV

II

Early C18. Coursed rubble. Flush quoins. Symmetrical. 2½ storeys. Doorway has moulded architrave and pulvinated frieze. Castellated, evidently C19 porch. Each side is a large transom and mullioned window with a total of twelve lights and dripmould (the left-hand one with leading to upper lights). Above each is a 5-light window with dripmould. Above porch is a round-arched window, with keystone, impost mouldings and narrow mullion and transom. Stone eaves gutter. Five casement dormers with hipped roofs set in stone slab roof. Tall gable chimneys. Slightly lower 2-storey extension to right is dated "John and Mary/Roster(on(/1820". Beyond is still lower extension, probably of similar date. Both are similar in build to earlier house, but have tall square-mullioned windows of two and three lights (later C20 metal casements replacing mullions in hither extension and a metal balcony, also perhaps C20, fronting the upper window). Until 1884 the house was the White Hart Inn. Known as Higher House in distinction to Shoulder of Mutton PH (known as Lower House), with which it shared disorderly reputation c.1800.

Listing NGR: SD7818416682

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 210705

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing