Gate Piers and Boundary Walls to Churchyard Of St Mary


Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Date of most recent amendment:
Statutory Address:
Gate Piers and Boundary Walls to Churchyard Of St Mary, Church Lane, Prestwish, Bury, Greater Manchester


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1356815.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2021 at 20:41:27.


Statutory Address:
Gate Piers and Boundary Walls to Churchyard Of St Mary, Church Lane, Prestwish, Bury, Greater Manchester

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Bury (Metropolitan Authority)
Non Civil Parish
National Grid Reference:


Gate piers of c1827 and boundary walls of 1827 and 1886 enclosing St Mary's churchyard to north, east and south sides.

Reasons for Designation

The boundary walls and entrance gate piers of St Mary's churchyard, Prestwich, are designated at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

* Historic interest: They illustrate the extensive history of the St Mary's churchyard and its expansion during the C19 * Group value: They have group value with the Grade I listed St Mary's Church and the other listed monuments and structures in the St Mary's churchyard


St Mary's Church, Prestwich, dates to the C14 with later alterations, and the oldest extant grave marker in the churchyard dates to 1641. However, the topography of the churchyard suggests a much older burial ground. The churchyard has been extended many times, including in 1827 when boundary walls were constructed. Prior to these walls being erected the churchyard was enclosed by a ditch and hedge created in 1706, and subsequently by the planting of beech and fir trees in 1763. Further extensions to the churchyard occurred in 1864, 1886, 1924 and 1950.

The western section of the churchyard contains, amongst other graves, the unmarked burials of thousands of inmates of the County Asylum Prestwich dating from the mid-C19 to early-C20, although several communal graves for the asylum's attendants and some inmates are marked by grave slabs. In 1801 a hearse house (altered in the mid-late C20) was constructed to the north of the church.


North, east and south boundary walls (1827) constructed of coursed sandstone with curved copings, original iron railings now removed to north and south walls; some post WWII railings survive to east wall. North wall abuts the C18 Church Inn (also listed at Grade II). Later section of boundary wall to south of 1827 south wall erected in 1886 when the graveyard was enlarged; wall is of coursed sandstone with large, square carved blocks for copings with tool mark decoration. Openwork cast-iron gate piers set to north-east corner of churchyard with flat tops, colonettes to corners and latticework in between. C20 double and single gates between piers are not included in the listing. Gate piers flanked to south by raised section of east boundary wall. Section of red brick wall (1827) of same height with sandstone copings is attached to north side of gate piers and extends to Church Inn. West face of wall incorporates a large stone containing an incised oval shape and inscription dated 1827 that records the extending of the churchyard and its enclosure.


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Hartwell, C, Hyde, M, Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Lancashire: Manchester and the South-East, (2004, reprinted 2010 with corrections), 566
Pringle, I, Saint Mary Prestwich: A Description of the Churchyard, (2008)
Sather, K, St Mary's Prestwich: Conservation Management Plan, (n.d.)


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 24 Mar 2007
Reference: IOE01/16128/07
Rights: Copyright IoE Ms Pamela Jackson. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].