Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1356866.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 05-Dec-2021 at 16:53:04.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Greater London Authority
Harrow (London Borough)
Non Civil Parish
National Grid Reference:
TQ 15042 86781



1157/17/10022 Harrow Hospital


Cottage Hospital. 1906 by Arnold Mitchell, extended to west 1915 for war use, extended to south west 1925 both these extensions possibly by the same architect. The further extensions to east and south of mid-late C20 are not of special interest. Red brick laid in English bond, banded with artificial stone; machine tile roofs. Arts and Crafts style. 2 parallel ranges. EXTERIOR: symmetrical north elevation. One storey and dormer attic; 6-window range. Central entrance consisting of double-leaf half-glazed doors set within eared artificial stone surround with keyblocks. In the frieze the inscription "Harrow Hospital". Pair of outer pilasters frame 5 x 2 paned fixed windows. Swan-necked pediment rising to embrace centre-hung cast-iron window with multiple glazing bars. Open modillion pediment above contains cartouche plaque: dated 1906, with swags. All ground-floor windows framed by banded brick and stone: 2 outer 6/9 horned sashes either side (outer sash to east replaced with a Crittall window under a soldier arch) separated by a bow window set within shallow recess, and all linked by modillion cornice. Over the bow windows rise tall gables each fitted with a 3-light timber casement. Horizontal brick and stone banding above. Main roof with 3 gabled dormers fitted with 6/6 horned sashes. 3 ridge stacks, symmetrically placed. 2-storey hipped pavilion set back to west, added 1916: one 2/4 horned sash to basement and 2 4/4 horned sashes above, all under gauged skewback arches. Two-storey hipped pavilion set further back to west of last, added 1925: 3 fixed lights with louvred opening upper parts, and a pane[ door to right. Rear, south, elevation with 5 gables to attic fitted with various replacement casements of mid to late C20. Ground floor obscured by mid to late C20 extensions. INTERIOR: front block has long east-west corridor with double swing doors at intervals. Central large niche, dogleg staircase with oak handrail and square corner posts, central -stained glass window with swags and portrait of Jesus, round-headed arch and bronze plaque commemorating VAD during the Great War.

Listing NGR: TQ1504286781


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 12 Aug 1999
Reference: IOE01/00844/14
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr S. Charles. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].