41 AND 42, KING STREET WC2

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1356872

Date first listed: 08-Mar-1999

Date of most recent amendment: 21-May-1999

Statutory Address: 41 AND 42, KING STREET WC2

Map

Ordnance survey map of 41 AND 42, KING STREET WC2
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1356872 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Nov-2018 at 16:45:02.

Location

Statutory Address: 41 AND 42, KING STREET WC2

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Greater London Authority

District: City of Westminster (London Borough)

National Grid Reference: TQ 30279 80900

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TQ 3080 NW KING STREET WC2

1900/72/10230 No. 41 and 42

08.03.1999

GV II

Restaurant and offices, formerly drapers premises. Built in 1877 by Henry Clutton for the Duke of Bedford's estate as a drapers, Boyd Burnet and Co. The builders were Cubitt and Co and the interior was by C F Hayward under Clutton's supervision. Classical style. Built of red brick in English bond with Portland stone dressings. Mansard slate roof with end brick and stone chimneystacks. Four storeys attics and basement; 3 windows. Attic has three dormers with casements, curved pediments and console brackets connected by stone balustrading. Deep modillion eaves cornice. Other floors above ground have sashes with verticals only and horns (top half of verticals only to 2nd and 3rd floor) with triglyph decoration, moulded architraves and cast iron flower guards to 2nd and 3rd floors and stone balconette with balustrading to 1st floor. Stone bands to each floor. Ground floor is rusticated with central elliptical-arched opening with shopfront flanked by doorcases with pediments, rectangular fanlights and four panelled double doors with oculi with stained glass to no 42 and with latticework to no 41. INTERIOR: curved staircase with cast iron balusters has either been re-ordered or is an import. Above this is a well staircase of timber with twisted balusters. Cast iron columns survive. First floor has two original fireplaces, two glazed screens, cornices and ceiling roses remaining from the drapers premises. Second floor has cast iron firegrate. This is one of six buildings erected between 1876 and 1890 for the Duke of Bedford in Covent Garden by Henry Clutton who was consultant architect to the estate at the time.

[ Survey of London Vol XXXVI pp165-166.]



Listing NGR: TQ3026780897

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 473111

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Survey of London' in The Parish of St Paul Covent Garden: Volume 36, (1970), 165-166

End of official listing