JUBILEE HALL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1356973

Date first listed: 04-Jul-1980

Statutory Address: JUBILEE HALL, COVENT GARDEN WC2

Map

Ordnance survey map of JUBILEE HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1356973 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Nov-2018 at 14:27:21.

Location

Statutory Address: JUBILEE HALL, COVENT GARDEN WC2

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Greater London Authority

District: City of Westminster (London Borough)

National Grid Reference: TQ 30425 80864

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TQ 3080 NW CITY OF WESTMINSTER COVENT GARDEN, WC2 72/33 Jubilee Hall 4.7.80 G.V. II

Former market hall. 1897-1903 by James Cubitt, built as the Foreign Flower Market. Red brick with plenty of stone dressings, glazed and slated roofs, Edwardian "Wrenaissance"-Baroque. 2 storeys with open ground floor loggia and 1st floor double hall. Symmetrical facades with corner pavilions flanking east and west fronts of 3 major bays and on their returns longer north and south facades of 4 major bays. Main entrance to east between central pair of Tuscan loggia columns with Venetian window above. Similar west end. The north and south long fronts have Tuscan piers to loggia and clerestory fenestration of 4 pairs of sash windows with Tuscan pilasters marking the major bays and coupled engaged Tuscan columns between the windows; deep band of brickwork between loggia and clerestory with centrally placed Coat of Arms; entablature and balustraded parapet. The pavilions with rusticated quoin pilasters, have entrances to 1st floor hall in wide gabled doorways with block dressings and keys, 1st floor sash windows and lunettes in the open pediments crowning each face, parapets with urn finials to corners and overall domed cupolas. Interior has main access to 1st floor halls by grand double staircase approached by vaulted porticoes in the eastern entrance pavilions, 1st floor halls have pilasters dividing clerestories and glazed roof lights over cast iron trusses, doorways with voussoir blocked and keystoned heads.

Survey of London; Vol. XXXVI.

Listing NGR: TQ3042580864

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 209336

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Survey of London' in The Parish of St Paul Covent Garden: Volume 36, , Vol. 36, (1970)

End of official listing