CHURCH OF THE HOLY ROOD

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1357113

Date first listed: 12-Sep-1955

Date of most recent amendment: 01-Mar-1990

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF THE HOLY ROOD, CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF THE HOLY ROOD
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1357113 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Nov-2018 at 11:38:10.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF THE HOLY ROOD, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Oxfordshire

District: West Oxfordshire (District Authority)

Parish: Shilton

National Grid Reference: SP 26716 08299

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SHILTON CHURCH LANE

SP20NE Church of the Holy 4/288 Rood. (formerly listed as 12.9.55 Shilton Church)

GV II*

Parish Church. 3-bay C12 nave and catslide south aisle, C13 chancel, C15 and later nave window, C15 crenellated 2-stage tower. Restored by Street. Rubble, Cotswold stone roofs. Wide projecting north porch, probably late mediaeval, Tower has diagonal buttresses, and Tudor-arch west door with ornamental spandrels. South door C15 externally C12 internally, north door blocked, C12 externally. In the north wall is a C16 3-light square- head window with cusps. The best windows are in the 2-bay chancel, all late C13 or c.1300: the east window of 3 cusped lights within arch with roundels above outer lights, on south side the east window has a quatrefoil in the tracery and the west window has a dropped cill. Interior: cylindrical piers, plan arcades with large survival of decorative painting, labels with head and dragon stops. Stepped tower arch of C15, inner order without springers: unaligned heavily moulded chancel arch. Windows: small C12 deep-splay round-headed window in east wall of south aisle, chancel windows with rere-arches, east window appears to have stained roundels, west window has a C15 sun and moon in tracery lights, the west window of S.chancel wall has diamond panes with painted foliage. Magnificent C15 font, square with relief panels concerning the Crucifixion. Parish chest dated 1634. 3 memorials in chancel, the best to William Chadwell Clarke, died 1710. Rood screen by H Hems, perhaps incorporating mediaeval timber. Pews and pulpit of mid-C19. Roofs collar rafter barrel type (plaster removed) - C17 or earlier to nave and porch.

Listing NGR: SP2671608299

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 422337

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing