CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1357134
Date first listed:
12-Sep-1955
Date of most recent amendment:
01-Mar-1990
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1357134 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Sep-2019 at 20:31:31.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Oxfordshire
District:
West Oxfordshire (District Authority)
Parish:
Westwell
National Grid Reference:
SP 22309 10054

Details

WESTWELL SP21SW Church of St Mary 1/297 (formerly listed as 12.9.55 Church of St Mary The Virgin) GV I

Small Parish Church. C12 origins, chancel C13, porch C15 when the church was remodelled, west bay and bellcote 1869 by E J Tarver. Rubble with Cotswold stone roof and coped verges. Small 2-cell church, the nave now 3 bays, chancel 2 bays. Lancets and corbel table to chancel, east window a large cinquefoil within a roll-mould (unusual but shown on Buckler's drawing of 1825). Square head window to right of porch with 3 cusped-head lights and label (restored). Mid-C12 south doorway with one order, set back nook shafts and flaring chevron, the tympanum has a rebated surface and a scratchdial. Porch has side buttresses and wave-mould doorway, it also has a scratchdial (to replace the one the rendered ineffective by building of the porch perhaps) and inside is a cusped niche the former piscina from the chancel. West bay has plate tracery to north and south, dated label stops on north, flowing ribbon to south. Square-plan bellcote with 3 arched louvred belfry windows on each side. Interior plastered. Roof in part probably C16 with arch-braced collars and queen struts. Tall Norman north doorway (now into vestry). Wide, lightly pointed (? remodelled) chancel arch with chip-carved impost string, cushion caps, with beaded panels (to north). Chancel has a segmental head recess with a C17 communion table - perhaps for Easter sepulchre zone probably for founder/benefactor's tomb - below short north window. The main altar is a re-used mensa slab (discovered 1933). The south chancel window retains evidence of painted decoration, florets etc. 2 important monuments, (cf Pevsner: B of E). Uncharacteristically the chancel monument to the Rev. Richard Thorneton (died 1613) has above it a helm; amateur touching up of the heraldry on shields of tomb-chest. Trinder monument on north wall of nave obviously built without taking into account that it would have to clear the (lost) box pews and so entangles itself with roof structure. Unusual quadrilobe and reeded base chalice - type font. Early C16 glass in south window of nave (? contemporary). Advowson belonged at on time to the Hospitallers of Quennington, later to Edington Priory. Buildings of England: Oxfordshire (ed. Sir Niklaus Pevsner) 1974.

Listing NGR: SP2230910052

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
422403
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Sherwood, J , The Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, (1974)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 30 Sep 2002
Reference: IOE01/09055/26
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Derek Cotterill. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].