PALLADIUM HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1357168

Date first listed: 16-Jan-1981

Date of most recent amendment: 25-Jun-2002

Statutory Address: 1-4, ARGYLL STREET

Statutory Address: PALLADIUM HOUSE, GREAT MARLBOROUGH STREET W1

Map

Ordnance survey map of PALLADIUM HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1357168 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Nov-2018 at 14:21:22.

Location

Statutory Address: 1-4, ARGYLL STREET

Statutory Address: PALLADIUM HOUSE, GREAT MARLBOROUGH STREET W1

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Greater London Authority

District: City of Westminster (London Borough)

National Grid Reference: TQ 29139 81129

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details



1900/57/42 GREAT MARLBOROUGH STREET W1 16-JAN-81 SOHO PALLADIUM HOUSE ARGYLL STREET SOHO 1-4 (Formerly listed as: ARGYLL STREET W1 SOHO 1-6) (Formerly listed as: GREAT MARLBOROUGH STREET SOHO IDEAL HOUSE)

II



1-4 Argyll Street. Formerly known as Ideal House. Corner office block. 1928-9 by Raymond Hood in collaboration with Gordon Jeeves, extended northwards in 1935. Polished black granite facing, metal casement windows, enamel trimmings; flat roof not visible. 7 storeys with a recessed attic storey. 7 windows wide on upper floors to Great Marlborough Street, 11 windows to Argyll Street where they are arranged in spaced groups of 4 and 7 bays, reflecting two phases of construction. Ground floor with large flat arched display windows and doorways pierced without moulding but emphasised by inlaid frame of bronze champlev? enamelled plates in formalised lotus and jazz-moderne geometric patterns in a range of yellows and oranges, greens and gold. Plain openings with metal casements to upper floors. The champlev? motifs appear again as a frieze pierced by the 6th floor windows and reappear on the stepped and coved main cornice and similarly coved attic cornice, each of Egyptian inspiration. INTERIOR: not inspected. HISTORY: this building was constructed for the National Radiator Company, and was a reduced version of the American Radiator Building on Bryant Park, Manhattan, the New York premises of the National Radiator Corporation by Raymond Hood, the parent company of the English firm. The black and gold colours reflect the livery of the company. It comprised a ground floor show room with lettable offices above. Originally the building comprised the southernmost four bays, but was extended by a further seven bays to the north in 1935. A very unusual instance of a London-scaled American tower block design, embellished with the sort of Art Deco or 'Moderne' details in fashion following the Paris Exhibition of 1925. This is the only European building of Raymond Hood, described by A. Saint as the 'wittiest and most thoughtful of the inter-war New York skyscraper architects'. The enamel surround to the Argyll Street entrance was removed and is now in the Victoria & Albert Museum. SOURCES: 'Survey of London' Vol. XXXI (1963), 307; Elain Harwood and Andrew Saint, 'Exploring England's Heritage: London' (1991), 216.



Listing NGR: TQ2913981129

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 208545

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Harwood, , Saint, , Exploring England's Heritage London, (1991), 216
'Survey of London' in The Parish of Westminster Part 2 North of Piccadilly: Volumes 31 and 32 , , Vol. 31, (1963)

End of official listing