Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1357189.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Oct-2021 at 06:55:21.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Greater London Authority
City of Westminster (London Borough)
Non Civil Parish
National Grid Reference:
TQ 28705 80570


TQ 2880 NE CITY OF WESTMINSTER BERKELEY SQUARE W1 69/19 (south west side) 24.2.58 No 42 GV II

Terraced house, c1741-45, possibly by carpenters Edward Cock and Francis Hillyard, the principal developers of Berkeley Square; altered and extended late C18 and early C19; altered c1985.

PLAN: End-of-terrace corner site with deep rectangular plan. Entrance in N return elevation to Hill Street. Central entrance hall with stair to rear. Some principal rooms remain on ground and first, but plan otherwise altered and subdivided.

EXTERIOR: Stuccoed brick with slated modern mansard roof and dormers. Four storeys above basement with modern mansard attic. Banded rustication to ground floor continuing along elevation of rear service building and linking wall. French windows to first floor; remainder are sashes, mostly modern replacements. Moulded cornice and parapet. Modern mansard attic. E elevation to Berkeley Square has 3 windows; those above ground floor with moulded architraves. Bracketed stone balcony to first floor with wrought-iron balustrade; window-guards to second-floor in same geometric pattern. Shallow pilaster to left hand side and to angle. Return elevation has moulded string course above ground floor and plain one above the first. This elevation is blind up to entrance bay, which is full-height and canted with 3 windows. Neo-classical doorcase with sunk-panelled jambs and lion masks to corners, patera to frieze and cornice with guttae. Timber panelled door with patterned fanlight above. Window guards to first-floor windows. One window to right of entrance bay. The end section of this elevation, beyond the shallow pilaster, appears to be an early-C19 extension. It has a full-height canted bay to the rear with tall casements to first floor and window guards, similar to other elevations. Cast-iron area railings.

INTERIOR: There is little that can be confidently dated to the 1740s. A ground-floor room may retain elements of a panelled scheme with an enriched doorcase and modillion cornice, but the eclectic detail of this room (such as the C17-style plaster ceiling) suggest that it may date from the late-C19 or early-C20. Elegant late-C18 open-well stair on trapezoid plan with wrought-iron balustrade and unusual reeded mahogany. Oval lantern above with enriched surround. First-floor stair landing has doors with architraves and a niche cupboard with moulded surround in late-C18 style. A late-C18 marble neo-classical chimneypiece survives, but much of the décor throughout, including cornices, door architraves and dados, is c1985 and is not of special interest.

SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: Rear service building of one-storey and basement, with tripartite sash windows, probably late-C18. This may date from late-C18, but has been altered with a c1985 mansard as is principally of group value.

HISTORY: In 1696, the third Lord Berkeley sold his house, Berkeley House in Piccadilly, to the first Duke of Devonshire, with a covenant to protect the northward view from the house (thence named Devonshire House). The 4th Lord Berkeley, honouring the covenant, developed houses along the east side from c1738, first named Berkeley Row, and the 5th Lord granted leases for the west side in 1741-45 which was described as being part of a 'new intended square called Berkeley Square'. Rocque's map of 1746 names it as Berkeley Square. The principal developers were carpenters Edward Cock and Francis Hillyard. The gardens to Devonshire House on the south side became the gardens of Robert Adam's Shelburne, later Lansdowne House, 1762-8. The north side was gradually built with terraced houses by the Grosvenor Estate The gardens of Lansdowne House to the south were developed in the 1930s, forming the south return of the square.

REASON FOR DESIGNATION: No. 42 Berkeley Square is designated for the following principal reasons: * Of special architectural interest as a substantial Mayfair townhouse of the mid-C18, remodelled in the neo-classical style in the late-C18 and retaining a good stair from that period, as well as some features including possible 1740s remnants incorporated in an early-C20 decorative scheme; * Group value with Nos 43-47 and 49-50 Grosvenor Square (qv), the most intact C18 terrace remaining in the square.

Listing NGR: TQ2871080573


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 17 Greater London


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 06 May 2001
Reference: IOE01/03585/16
Rights: Copyright IoE Quentin Ball. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].