UXBRIDGE HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1357241

Date first listed: 24-Feb-1958

Statutory Address: 1, OLD BURLINGTON STREET

Statutory Address: UXBRIDGE HOUSE, 7, BURLINGTON GARDENS W1

Map

Ordnance survey map of UXBRIDGE HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1357241 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Nov-2018 at 21:30:52.

Location

Statutory Address: 1, OLD BURLINGTON STREET

Statutory Address: UXBRIDGE HOUSE, 7, BURLINGTON GARDENS W1

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Greater London Authority

District: City of Westminster (London Borough)

National Grid Reference: TQ 29163 80675

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TQ 2980 NW CITY OF WESTMINSTER BURLINGTON GARDENS W1 70/34 24.2.58 No 7 (Uxbridge House) including No 1 OLD BURLINGTON STREET GV II*

Town Mansion. 1721-23. Built as Queensbury House by Giacomo Leoni for Lord Clifton; finished for the Duke of Queensbury, enlarged and altered for Lord Uxbridge by the younger John Vardy and Joseph Bonomi 1785-89 and with alterations by Philip Hardwick on conversion to bank in 1855. Front elevation of brick faced with Portland stone; slate roof. A significant early Palladian design sensitively enlarged and adapted by Vardy. 3 storeys and basement. 10 windows wide. Rusticated arcading to ground floor, framing windows, and central Roman Doric coupled column portico added by Hardwick for bank. Recessed glazing bar sashes. The upper floors are articulated by a giant order of Composite pilasters rising from pedestals to entablature and balustraded parapet. The tall 1st floor windows have architraves all, apart from outermost bays, with cornices, and give onto geometric cast iron balony carried out over portico. Cast iron area railings with "baluster" panelled standards and lampholders. The 8 bay return of brick to Old Burlington Street is probably largely Leoni's though heightened and has Vardy's Roman Doric porch. Stone plat and sill bands to 1st floor and stone cornice over 2nd floor. 4 bay plain Vardy return in brick to Savile Row extended by stone faced 1 storey and basement banking hall extension of 4 bays by P. C. Hardwick c. 1876; architraved and pedimented windows, entablature and balustraded parapet. The interior, although eastern half was altered for bank with ornately classical top lit large banking hall to rear, retains the basic elements of Leoni's house to west, in particular the stone staircase with wrought iron rail, together with the Vardy-Bonomi alterations including the coffered with plasterwork by Joseph Rose over the stairs with panelled niches to walls and Rose's plasterwork to the Committee Room ceiling etc

Survey of London; vol XXXII

Listing NGR: TQ2916380675

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 208941

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Survey of London' in The Parish of Westminster Part 2 North of Piccadilly: Volumes 31 and 32 , , Vol. 32, (1963)

End of official listing