FORMER PAYMASTER GENERALS OFFICE FORMER PAYMASTER GENERALS OFFICE (THE PARLIAMENTARY COUNSEL)

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1357390

Date first listed: 05-Feb-1970

Statutory Address: FORMER PAYMASTER GENERALS OFFICE (THE PARLIAMENTARY COUNSEL), WHITEHALL SW1

Statutory Address: FORMER PAYMASTER GENERALS OFFICE, HORSE GUARDS PARADE

Map

Ordnance survey map of FORMER PAYMASTER GENERALS OFFICE
FORMER PAYMASTER GENERALS OFFICE (THE PARLIAMENTARY COUNSEL)
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1357390 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 11-Dec-2018 at 10:53:40.

Location

Statutory Address: FORMER PAYMASTER GENERALS OFFICE (THE PARLIAMENTARY COUNSEL), WHITEHALL SW1

Statutory Address: FORMER PAYMASTER GENERALS OFFICE, HORSE GUARDS PARADE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Greater London Authority

District: City of Westminster (London Borough)

National Grid Reference: TQ 30079 80156

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TQ 3080 SW CITY OF WESTMINSTER WHITEHALL SW1 83/69 (west side) Former Paymaster 5.2.70 General's Office (The Parliamentary Counsel) GV II* Government offices. Original Paymaster General's Office building on Whitehall of 1732-33, by John Lane; north bay added 1806; rear elevation to Horse Guards Parade is the west facade of the former No 37 Great George Street, re-erected in 1910; major restoration-rebuilding 1965. Main building of brown brick with Portland stone dressings, slate roof. Restrained astylar Palladian front with feature of Gibbs surrounds. 3 storeys, 5 windows wide with 3 bay centre slightly advanced and pedimented. Central doorway in Gibbs surround with deep keystone and voussoir flat arch; ground floor windows also in Gibbs surrounds. Recessed glazing bar sashes under flat gauged arched to upper floors. Stone plinth; pseudo parapet to 1st floor with 'plinth' plat band run across ground floor window - heads; bracketed cornice and blocking course; the pediment over centre break containing lunette attic window. 1806 north bay of 4 storeys with recessed tripartite sashes; 1st floor plat band; cornice carried over from main block and parapet with coping. The re-erected facade of the demolished No 37 Great George Street (c1760-70) replaced a plain brick Horse Guards Parade front. Portland stone ashlar. 3 storeys and basement. 5 windows wide, the end bays advanced and pedi- mented. Recessed glazing bar sashes, those in end pavilions as Venetian windows on each floor. 1st floor balcony to main block. Entablature over 1st floor. Crowning cornice and blocking course between pedimented pavilions. Interior retains drawing, now conference, room to rear on ground floor with good Palladian details and chimney piece with pedimented overmantel flanked by bearded profile volutes; etc. Survey of London; vol XVI.

Listing NGR: TQ3007980156

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 207610

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Survey of London' in Charing Cross the Parish of St Martin-in-the-Fields Part 1: Volume 16 , , Vol. 16, (1935)

End of official listing