- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Date of most recent amendment:
- Statutory Address:
- MANOR HOUSE
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1357459.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 28-Oct-2021 at 02:02:35.
- Statutory Address:
- MANOR HOUSE
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- West Oxfordshire (District Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- SP 22359 09883
SP20NW Manor House
3/315 (previously listed as
12.9.55 Westwel1 Manor)
Manor house. C16 with C17 and C18 extensions and C19 and C20 restorations. Mostly coursed rubble, some dressed rubble; Cotswold stone roofs; ashlar chimneys with cornices. Miniature Versailles plan developing from the central L-plan kernel (after 1544 probably for Robert Taylor) which had become U plan by mid-cl7 with framing wings at right angles for Charles Trinder before 1657; further wings forming the formal shape including the barn (q.v.) and N.W. boundary wall (q.v.) added in C18; the central part of the north front was filled to give a rectangular main block, probably in the C19. 2 storeys and attics. 3 bays to main block 2-bay wings and flanking ranges; return wings less regular fenestration. Mullion windows, some with hollow chamfer; C18 glazing-bar sashes to NE wing in raised flat surrounds. North front has central gable and flanking hipped roofs behind parapets - the difference between these, and also between the plinths below are an indication of the complexity of the house. The north east wing has chamfered quoins, a band over ground floor and paired ground floor windows; cellar window to north gable; the west wall might be a recladding of an earlier one. Rear has central attic gable, transomed ground floor windows and altered central entry. Interior much altered. Fireplaces: in hall a stone segmental pediment overmantel and eared architrave; the N.E. wing, ground floor, has a splendid wide fireplace up to the cornice, the overmantel has herm grotesques, dentil cornice, swagged garland with crude mask on circular tablet, egg and dart sub-cornice Over a panel possibly for a looking glass; in 1st floor S.W. room a C16 fireplace with overmantel with grotesques and strapwork supported on tapering Ionic piers. The interior has been remodelled to include a number of features from Ionic columns to Victorian panelling not necessarily in the correct positions and some imports have been incorporated. The back staircase on the east side of the main block with newel and a few splat balusters retained probably dates from C17. The principal restoration of c.1912 was for Sir Roger Sothern Holland. An interesting complex, beautifully set out and transformed by Sir Roger. NMR AST Fisher The History of Westwell, Oxfordshire (1972)
Listing NGR: SP2236109878
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Fisher, A S T , The History of Westwell Oxfordshire, (1972)
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing