CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1357572

Date first listed: 22-Aug-1966

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL, CHURCH HILL

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1357572 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Nov-2018 at 04:24:32.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL, CHURCH HILL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Kent

District: Dover (District Authority)

Parish: Temple Ewell

National Grid Reference: TR 28618 44221

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TR 24 SE TEMPLE EWELL CHURCH HILL (South side)

4/81 Church of St Peter and St Paul 22.8.66 GV II*

Parish church. C12 and extended C13. C15 tower restored 1874 by Talbot Bury for £2,254. Flint and rubble with plain tiled roof, chancel and north chapel, nave and north aisle, western tower, south east vestry and north porch. Two stage tower. Tower with plinth, string course and cornice with spirelet and weather cock. Double hollow moulded west doorway and trecusped lancet windows. North porch rebuilt 1874 but retains C14 hollow and roll moulded doorway, with C12 north doorway with billet outer mould with roll mould and scalloped shafts. Separate entry from porch to north chapel, since 1984 separately roofed from chancel. C19 fenestration except for 1 C12 lancet in the nave. 1 C13 lancet in the chancel and 1 C15 double window in nave. Vestry connected to chancel by flying buttress cum chimney. Interior: heavily restored simple chamfered arches on abaci to north aisle, chancel and north chapel. Hollow chamfered C15 tower arch,the inner jamb restored C19, with 6 steps up to west door, and small door high up in nave gable. Fittings all C19, the piscina and sedile apparently reproducing original mouldings. Stone coffin lid now in the north porch c.1300 with a templar cross in relief. Stained glass: 4 panels each in the chancel and the north chapel, Swiss C17 presented to the church 1852 by a Mr. Halford. Probably from Unterwalden, Switzerland. In the chancel representations of Pharoe's dream, Jacob and his sons, Joseph receiving his brothers and Joseph's release from prison, all dated 1663. North chapel glass probably German, dated 1608 to 1614, showing the Annunciation, The village of Rolfenbach with the Virgin and child. Adoration of the Magi with the arms of the Swiss cantons, and the flight into Egypt, more fragments in the vestry. Crucifixion scene in east window by Martin Travers (post WW II). (See BOE Kent VI 1983, 473-4; see also church guide 1974 T.J Vardon).

Listing NGR: TR2861144264

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 178520

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Newman, J, The Buildings of England: North East and East Kent, (1983), 473-4
Vardon, TJ , Church of St Peter and St Paul Church Guide, (1974)

End of official listing