RAMSGATE LIBRARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1357573
Date first listed:
04-Feb-1988
Statutory Address:
RAMSGATE LIBRARY, GUILDFORD LAWN

Map

Ordnance survey map of RAMSGATE LIBRARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1357573 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Sep-2019 at 15:26:25.

Location

Statutory Address:
RAMSGATE LIBRARY, GUILDFORD LAWN

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Kent
District:
Thanet (District Authority)
Parish:
Ramsgate
National Grid Reference:
TR 38048 64927

Details

RAMSGATE GUILDFORD LAWN TR 3864 NW (south side) 13/129 Ramsgate Library GV II Library. 1904 by S.D. Adshead. Red brick with ashlar details and slate roof, in Neo-Georgian style. Entrance front central pedimented block on rusticated ground floor with band supporting coupled pilasters and 2 single pilasters to centre, with frieze and modillion cornice to pediment with domed cupola on pedestal over. The edges of the central block stripped back from the pedimented centre, with urn finials on corners. Scalloped brackets to left and right rising from single storey wings. Lunette shaped niche in pediment with Ramsgate's Coat of Arms, glazing bar sashes to left and to right on first floor with moulded aprons below, and central clock face in festooned surround with swagged panel below and "Public Library" incised in frieze over. Two round headed glazing bar casements on ground floor with small sidelights, and round- headed niches in flanking wings with glazing bar sashes in moulded surrounds with relief urns over. Central double doors of 6 recessed and fielded panels in Doric surround, with semi-circular fanlight above the cill band, in rusticated surround with Neptune-mask key stone. The side elevations are apart from the treatment of the flanking blocks to the front elevation more irregular and utilitarian. Interior: half- glazed inner doors lead to cross-vaulted entrance hall, with stair to right, half-landing plan with iron baluster leading to upper exhibition floor. Main interior spaces are open to each other but separately articulated with an arcaded area (Childrens Library), barrel vaulted and top lit main reading room, 2 storey museum and exhibition room with gallery, frieze and modillion cornice reached through an ornate Neo-Georgian door and surround. The detail, of dado panels, frieze and cornice, top lit or simply plastered ceilings, is simple but carried throughout the building. The library was financed by Andrew Carnegie, with the library collection transferred from Cavendish House, in Cavendish Street, converted and endowed by J. Passmore Edwards in 1890; the subject of a competition in 1902 judged by Henry Hare, and was Adshead's first major commission. (See Architectural History, No. 24, 1981, p 103 ff; see also Busson, Ramsgate, 128).



Listing NGR: TR3804864927

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
171759
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Busson, C , Book of Ramsgate128
'Architectural History' in Architectural History, , Vol. 24, (1981), 103

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 26 Sep 2006
Reference: IOE01/16011/17
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Peter Keeble. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].