ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH OF THE ENGLISH MARTYRS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1357894
Date first listed:
27-Mar-1981
Date of most recent amendment:
21-Dec-2001
Statutory Address:
ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH OF THE ENGLISH MARTYRS, MITCHAM LANE SW16

Map

Ordnance survey map of ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH OF THE ENGLISH MARTYRS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1357894 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Sep-2019 at 10:08:26.

Location

Statutory Address:
ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH OF THE ENGLISH MARTYRS, MITCHAM LANE SW16

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Greater London Authority
District:
Lambeth (London Borough)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 29966 71648

Details



963/33/683 MITCHAM LANE SW16 27-MAR-81 (North side) Roman Catholic Church of the English M artyrs

II*



Roman Catholic church. Built in 1892-4 by A E Purdie in French Gothic style. 1962 extension in matching style by T Sibthorpe to ritual north. Church is orientated north north west. Built of coursed Kentish ragstone rubble with Bath stone dressings to most of the building and Portland stone dressings to the spire, slate roof and stone spire. PLAN: Five bay nave with aisles, three bay chancel, north chapel and south chapels and south west tower. EXTERIOR: West end has large traceried window and smaller one to north aisle. Elaborate entrance with three tiers of colonnettes, the central one with steep pediment. South west tower of three stages with broached spire with narrow lucarnes and metal finial. Top or bell stage has wooden louvres and three pointed arches to each face. Second stage has two lancets and statues of St Anselm and St Thomas of Canterbury. Lowest stage has traceried window to west and arched doorcase with three tiers of colonnettes. Five bay nave has triple trefoil-headed and traceried windows below lancets with trefoil decoration above. Chancel is similar with large traceried east window. INTERIOR: Arcade with circular columns with stiffleaf capitals and scissor-braced roof supported on bosses and canopies above statues of Catholic martyrs. The roof was painted in the 1950s, a feature planned but not executed originally. High relief Stations of the Cross with canopies. Arched Confessional doors. Carved west balcony, screen and front row of the pews. Complete set of Hardman glass, including scenes from the life of St Thomas More to west window, Scenes from the life of St John Fisher to east window and other saints and martyrs to other windows. Clerestory glass was resited to 1960s extension. Octagonal font in south chapel. North chapel retains decorative bronze Communion Railings re-sited from main altar. Chancel has painted ribbed roof and elaborate altar with marble and silver gilt tabernacle door of vulning pelican. 1962 extension has similar roof trusses, re-sited original doors, re-sited stained glass from clerestorey and elaborate late C19 Flemish carved wooden altar re-sited from north chapel.

[BOE "London 2: South" P391. "The Builder" 1893. Gerald Brine "A History of the Church and Parish of the English Martyrs Streatham." Pamphlet 1993]







Listing NGR: TQ2996671648

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
204480
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Brine, G, A History of the Church and Parish of the English Martyrs, Streatham [pamphlet], (1993)
Cherry, B, Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: London 2: South, (1994), 391
'The Builder' in The Builder, (1893)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 09 Aug 1999
Reference: IOE01/00999/04
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David March. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].