Church of All Saints

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: I

List Entry Number: 1358437

Date first listed: 30-Jul-1951

Statutory Address: Church of All Saints, Market Place, Kingston upon Thames, KT1 1JP

Map

Ordnance survey map of Church of All Saints
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1358437 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Nov-2018 at 11:39:52.

Location

Statutory Address: Church of All Saints, Market Place, Kingston upon Thames, KT1 1JP

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Greater London Authority

District: Kingston upon Thames (London Borough)

National Grid Reference: TQ 17903 69300

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Kingston upon Thames, historically in Surrey, was an important market town, port and river crossing from the early medieval period, while there is evidence of Saxon settlement and of activity dating from the prehistoric period and of Roman occupation. It is close to the important historic royal estates at Hampton Court, Bushy Park, Richmond and Richmond Park. The old core of the town, around All Saints Church (C14 and C15, on an earlier site) and Market Place, with its recognisably medieval street pattern, is ‘the best preserved of its type in outer London’ (Pevsner and Cherry, London: South, 1983 p. 307). Kingston thrived first as an agricultural and market town and on its historic industries of malting, brewing and tanning, salmon fishing and timber exporting, before expanding rapidly as a suburb after the arrival of the railway in the 1860s. In the later C19 it become a centre of local government, and in the early C20 became an important shopping and commercial centre. Its rich diversity of buildings and structures from all periods reflect the multi-facetted development of the town.

Details

(Formerly listed under Church Street)

Mostly C14 and C15, with traces of earlier work, including the remains of old Norman chapel on south side of church. Much restored in 19th century by Brandon (1862-6) and Pearson (1883).

Flint with stone dressings and stone battlemented parapet. Slate roof. Comprises four bay nave, with Perpendicular clerestory, choir, north and south aisles, transepts and chapels. Cruciform with central tower. Upper part of tower rebuilt in 1708 in brick with dipped parapet and pineapple ornaments to the corners.

Contains many good monuments and wall tablets, including Chantrey's seated figure commemorating Countess Louisa Theodosia of Liverpool, 1825, and Flaxman's monument to Philip Meadows of 1795.

Good 19th century stained glass, including the west window. 1865 by Lavers and Barrand, the west window to the north aisle and the easternmost window in south wall of south chapel, probably by the same, and the earlier south aisle window east. Four earlier roundels in north aisle.

Listing NGR: TQ1790369300

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 11/04/2018

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 203096

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Cherry, B, Pevsner, N , The Buildings of England, London 2: South, (1983), 307

End of official listing