COOMBE COTTAGE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1358457

Date first listed: 30-Aug-1988

Statutory Address: COOMBE COTTAGE, 187, COOMBE LANE WEST

Map

Ordnance survey map of COOMBE COTTAGE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1358457 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Nov-2018 at 15:51:15.

Location

Statutory Address: COOMBE COTTAGE, 187, COOMBE LANE WEST

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Greater London Authority

District: Kingston upon Thames (London Borough)

National Grid Reference: TQ 21519 70062

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TO 27 SW KINGSTON-UPON-THAMES COOMBE LANE WEST (east side)

2/51 No. 187 (Coombe Cottage)

GV II

House, now offices. Built 1863 and extended 1870-4 by George Devey for E. C. Baring, the banker. Red brick with purple brick diaper work; weatherboarded gables; gabled Welsh slate roof; brick stacks. Pictur- esque neo-vernacular style. Asymmetrical plan and 2-storey elevations. Main west elevation has 3-stage tower with staircase projection to right; flat brick arches over casement windows; moulded brick cornice and battlemented parapet. To front of this tower is a half-glazed door set in moulded basket-arched architrave, and porch with wood mullions to glazed panels, a coved pilaster cornice, and a parapet with late C17-style balustrade. To left of porch are 4 asymmetrically- planned gabled projections which, from nearest to the porch, have quatrefoil gable light, square bay window with double-gabled roof, and, finally, a square bay window; 3 gables nearest porch have weather- boarding, all have bargeboards and wood-mullioned and transomed windows, and gable to left has segmental brick tympanum arches over openings. Range in neo-Tudor style to right of porch, with 2-storey bays facing west and east and 5 bay south elevation with gabled fronts to east and west cross wings, all with label moulds over chamfered stone- mullioned windows. East elevation has 4 gables to centre, with barge- boards, weatherboarded upper gables, and weatherboarded jettied first floor to right with chamfered wood quoin blocks; splayed oriel window with similar treatment to left; flat brick arches over wood-mullioned and transomed casements. Short brick screen wall with keystone to elliptical-arched doorway connects multi-gabled range to 4-stage tower on right, which has similar casement windows having moulded brick string courses and cornice, and similar shaped floating cornices over ground and first-floor windows. Interior noted as having original Devey doors, panelling and staircase. This house is one of Devey's earliest commissions and its early use of the neo-vernacular style anticipates the later work of Shaw and Webb.

(M. Girouard, The Victorian Country House, 1971, pp. 178, 197).







(1 of 2)

Listing NGR: TQ2151970062

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 203205

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Girouard, M, The Victorian Country House, (1971), 178+197

End of official listing