Crossways

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1358740

Date first listed: 19-Jan-1981

Date of most recent amendment: 12-Dec-2012

Statutory Address: Crossways, 134 Church Road, Hanwell

Map

Ordnance survey map of Crossways
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1358740 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Nov-2018 at 23:36:55.

Location

Statutory Address: Crossways, 134 Church Road, Hanwell

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Greater London Authority

District: Ealing (London Borough)

Parish: Non Civil Parish

National Grid Reference: TQ1531280846

Summary

House. C18, possibly pre-1746. Extended and remodelled in late C18 or early C19, probably in more than one phase; early C20 alterations. A single-storey extension to the east, dating from the late C19, is not of special interest.

Reasons for Designation

Crossways, No. 134 Church Road, Hanwell, is designated at Grade II for the following principal reasons: * Architectural interest: as an C18, possibly pre-1746 house, extended and remodelled in the later Georgian period; * Interior: while altered in the early C20, the late-Georgian remodelled plan largely survives and a number of fittings of interest remain, including an elegant stair; * Historic context: it is one of the oldest buildings in Hanwell, occupying a prominent position in a setting which has retained its essential village character.

History

A building is shown on the site of Crossways on John Rocque's map (1746). Subsequent map evidence suggests that this was extended westwards (before 1803), and again before 1838. In 1814 it was the property of a Lady Branscombe. According to a local tradition, the house became a pub but there is little evidence to support this and census returns from 1851 onwards show that it was a residence. By 1860, the house was named St Vincent's Lodge.

Details

MATERIALS: red brick; stucco to ground floor; roughcast render to upper floor. Slate roofs.

PLAN: the building appears to have originated as a three-bay, symmetrical double-pile plan house with an M-roof and a pair of chimneystacks to either end, which forms the three eastern bays of the present house. A blocked opening on the north elevation suggests that this was the position of the original entrance. The plan now comprises a central entrance hall on the south side, leading through to the stair at the rear, with two rooms to the east and three to the west, plus a secondary stair to the south-west. The spine wall between the south-east and north-east ground-floor rooms has been removed.

EXTERIOR: two storeys and five bays with a central entrance on the south elevation. Pitched slate M-roof to eastern part; parallel hipped roofs to western part, behind continuous parapet. The north elevation has a plat band below the parapet. C20 casement windows. Timber pilastered early-C19 doorcase to entrance.

INTERIOR: the entrance hall has a blocked chimney breast on the west side. Late-C18 or early-C19 stair has an open string with scroll-silhouette tread ends, ramped mahogany handrail, column newels, stick balusters and a curtail. It rises against a chimneybreast on the NW wall, indicative that this was not the stair's original position. The ground-floor ceiling of the rear of the earlier part of the house was raised, possibly in the late-Georgian remodelling, resulting in a change of level between front and back on the upper floor; the bedroom ceiling height too has been raised above eaves level. The secondary stair has stick balusters, column newels and a panelled inner string. NW kitchen has a late-C18 or early-C19 dresser on the south wall (lower part altered). The house underwent internal refurbishment in the early C20, and most surviving fireplaces are from that date. Later Georgian features survive at upper-floor level including dado panelling, architraves, a fire surround with a reeded frieze and later grate, built-in cupboards in NE bedroom.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 200914

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
The Victoria History of the County of Middlesex, (1962), Vol 3; 220-24

End of official listing