Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1358819.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2021 at 10:16:53.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Greater London Authority
Croydon (London Borough)
Non Civil Parish
National Grid Reference:


This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 13/12/2012

TQ 36 SE 6/2 20.5.54 5009

GRAVEL HILL Addington Palace (Royal School of Church Music)


Large house, School of Church Music at time of survey. Original house of 1772 by Robert Mylne for Alderman Barlow Trecothick comprised 2 storey central block and 1 storey wings linking to end pavilions. In 1807 the estate was purchased as a palace by the Archbishop of Canterbury. Between 1828 and 1833 Henry Harrison added a chapel and library to the ground floor front and heightened the wings by one storey. In 1896 the estate was sold by Archbishop Temple to Frederick Alexander English, a South African diamond millionaire and the house restructured by R Norman Shaw who added a 2nd floor to the main block, reconstructed the main staircase, built the Great Hall, added an impressive entrance hall in porch and converted the north pavilion to a Winter Garden. Palladian style. Portland stone with hipped slate roof and tall stone chimneystack. 12 pane sashes throughout except for ground floor which has 18-pane sashes. Central block is of 3 storeys 1-3-3-3-1 sash windows with centre and ends slightly projecting. Balustraded parapet cornice cill bands and blocking course. Central 2 storey porch by R Norman Shaw has triple-window to 1st floor and ground floor has pedimented porch with Ionic columns and piers "in antis" and 2 leafed panelled door behind. Wings have c1830 projecting single storey wings of 4 windows with balustraded parapet to front and set back 2 storey wings of 3 windows. The wings terminate in north and south pavilions, of 1 storey with pedimented gable with balustrading and 2 sashes in round-headed arched recesses. Garden front is of 2 storeys on tall rusticated basement with round-headed windows, the central 3 windows projecting under central pediment. Balustrade and late C19 tall leaded mansard roof. Set back side wings have 5 windows. Cornice and blocking course throughout. Outer attached pavilions are single storey with basement and have 3 tall round-headed windows, cornice and pediment. North Pavilion was converted into a Winter Garden in late C19 and chapel in mid C20 and has projecting canted bay to side. Attached to the house on both north and south sides is an early C19 brick wall about 20 feet in height. North side has cambered entrance. South side incorporates octagonal cement rendered summerhouse with slate roof round-headed windows and double door. Interior exhibits features by Mylne, Harrison and R Norman Shaw. Adam Drawing Room is part of original Mylne structure but redecorated by Norman Shaw. Original fireplace has marble fireplace with attached columns and panel with goat sacrifice. Mouldings of musical instruments over doors are of hollow carved wood. 6 panelled-doors and some false doors added to give the room symmetry. Adamesque ceiling with wedgwood type panels and octagonal roundels. Adjoining Chinese Drawing Room has marble fireplace with eared architraves, pilasters and basket grate. Adam style ceiling with paterae and 4 roundels with Cupids. Morning Room has elaborate green and white marble fireplace with carved architraves. Leaf moulded cornice and deep fielded panels probably by R Norman Shaw. Impressive well staircase has mahogany handrail and cast iron panels of shields and balustrades with crown. The Great Hall by R Norman Shaw has an enormous Jacobean style marble fireplace with red marble and alabaster strapwork overmantel and green marble surround to fireplace which has black and white marble rusticated pilasters to lower tier and red marble engaged Ionic columns above. Deep fielded wooden panelling, balconette with elaborate cast iron surround and moulded ceilings. Drawing Room also by R Norman Shaw has stone baronial fireplace with green marble panels and bell-shape above with attached columns. Dado panelling with strapwork design and plaster ceiling with design of quatrefoils and square panels with blank shields. Former chapel, now Dining Hall, has curved ceiling with reel and bead ornament. Winter Garden, now chapel has intersecting ceiling and round-headed windows of 1954. Memorial to Sydney Hugo Nicholson (1875-47), Founder of the Royal School of Church Music. First floor Empire Room decorated in Edwardian Louis XV1 style with 2 painted overmantels depicting nymphs and cupids, double doors with flaming torch and arrow decorations and marble fireplace with gilt inlay, pilasters and basket grate. [see 'Addington Palace history and description' Frederick Storrocks. 'Addington Village and Historical Survey'. Frederick Storrocks]

Listing NGR: TQ3651063859


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Storrocks, F, Addington Palace history and description
Storrocks, F, Addington Village and Historical Survey
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 17 Greater London


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 04 Sep 1999
Reference: IOE01/00427/02
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David Evans. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].