Crematorium and Chapel, St Marylebone Cemetery

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1359115

Date first listed: 26-Sep-1989

Statutory Address: Crematorium and Chapel, St Marylebone Cemetery, East End Road N2

Map

Ordnance survey map of Crematorium and Chapel, St Marylebone Cemetery
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1359115 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Nov-2018 at 03:35:09.

Location

Statutory Address: Crematorium and Chapel, St Marylebone Cemetery, East End Road N2

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Greater London Authority

District: Barnet (London Borough)

National Grid Reference: TQ 25806 89729

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TQ 2589 22/3

EAST END ROAD, N2 (east side) Crematorium and Chapel, St Marylebone Cemetery GV II Crematorium and chapel, 1937, by Edwin Cooper for Borough of St Marylebone. English band red brick with tile and limestone dressings and stone coursing beneath eaves; hipped pantile roof.

Plan of chapel surrounded by offices, to north of cloisters, surrounding quadrangle. Italianate style. Chapel has stepped stone architraves to semi-circular arched windows of three-bay east and west windows and round north window; chapel is surrounded by lean-to roofs over low offices and north entrance loggia, having square-headed classical stone architraves to doorways and tile surrounds to square-headed windows to east and west and loggia with tile and brick piers and semi-circular arched entry; stone semi-circular arch with tile tympanum over panelled double doors set in square-headed classical stone architraves, flanked by urns set in stone bowls. Chimney is set within four-stage south east tower with neo-classical urns to stone parapet surmounted by octagonal upper stage with iron grilles to openings and stone coursing to top. Cloisters surrounding Garden of Rest to rear have stone bowls set in walls, and stone steps to square-headed west doorway flanked by three-bay open screens with Doric columns; inner quadrangle has Doric columns to cloister walks, which have hipped porches with semi-circular arched doorways to centre of each elevation.

Interior: in red brick, with pedimented and square-headed classical doorways. Three domes to ceiling of chapel, which has shields bearing arms of St Marylebone to walls; marble catafalque with ornamental bronze doors; inverted torch over doorway to Garden of Rest. One of Edwin Cooper's last commissions; his ashes lie here.

(The Builder,14.1.1938, pp 61-6).

Listing NGR: TQ2580689729

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 199241

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'The Builder' in 14 January, (1938), 61-6
Other
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 17 Greater London

End of official listing