BUTTERY AT INNER TEMPLE HALL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1359174
Date first listed:
04-Jan-1950
Date of most recent amendment:
07-Jan-1999
Statutory Address:
BUTTERY AT INNER TEMPLE HALL, CROWN OFFICE ROW EC4

Map

Ordnance survey map of BUTTERY AT INNER TEMPLE HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1359174.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Nov-2019 at 19:55:25.

Location

Statutory Address:
BUTTERY AT INNER TEMPLE HALL, CROWN OFFICE ROW EC4

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Greater London Authority
District:
City and County of the City of London (London Borough)
Parish:
Non Civil Parish
National Grid Reference:
TQ3122181008

Details

TQ 3181 SW CROWN OFFICE ROW EC4 Inner Temple Buttery at Inner Temple Hall

627/7/113 04-JAN-1950

GV II*

Buttery to former hall. Probably C14 restored after bomb damage c1950. Stone rubble with asWar cornice, quoins plinth and window dressings. Flat roof Two storeys. North side retains at lower level a blocked pointed arched opening and one blocked four-centred arched opening. Above is a c1950 triple casement with leaded lights. West side has two c1950 round-headed casements with leaded lights to first floor and two c1950 rectangular windows with pivoting leaded lights to ground floor, the left hand one with lower cill. South front has one c1950 round-headed window with pivoting lights to first floor and two square lancets. Ground floor has two square c1950 pivoting casements and two similar lancets. Interior has first floor buttery (16x14,feet) roofed with a quadripartite vault with hollow-chamfered ribs which spring from the floor level. The crypt below has a similar vaulted roof and a C15 stone fireplace in the west wall with moulded jambs and four-centred head with blank shields in the foliated spandrel. Above the fireplace is a reset stone bracket of c 1500 carved with an angel holding two shields, one a chevron charged with a molet between three lions' heads razed, the other five palets on a chief three lozenges. West wall also has a small cupboard with a rebated arched head. The buttery was to a C 14 hall, probably of the Knights Templars dispersed in 1308 who had two halls in the Temple. By 1324 their property had been transferred to the Knights Hospitallers who merely drew an income from/the land. Lawyers are known to have occupied the site by 1381 during Wat Tyler's rebellion as there is a record of their lodgings and records being destroyed in the rebellion. The hall was rebuilt in the C 19 and following damage during the Second World War again rebuilt in 1952. The Buttery is one of only a handful of C 14 secular stone buildings in Greater London of which most examples are Royal Palaces. [Pevsner BOB London :1 P345.]

Bibliography 6384 Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England (English Heritage), Part 17 Greater London



Listing NGR: TQ3122181008

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
199526
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: London I: The Cities of London and Westminster, (1962)
Other
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 17 Greater London

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 17 Aug 2002
Reference: IOE01/08582/04
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Paul Howard. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].