CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1359260

Date first listed: 07-Feb-1967

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS, LITTLEWORTH DROVE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1359260 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Dec-2018 at 04:20:01.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS, LITTLEWORTH DROVE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Lincolnshire

District: South Holland (District Authority)

Parish: Deeping St. Nicholas

National Grid Reference: TF 21670 16169

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

DEEPING ST.NICHOLAS LITTLEWORTH DROVE TF 21 NW (east side) 12/6 Church of St. Nicholas 7.2.67 II Parish church. 1845, by Charles Kirk of Sleaford in Decorated style. Coursed limestone rubble, ashlar quoins and dressings, slate roofs with decorative ridge tiles, stone coped gables with crosses fleury. Nave, chancel, north aisle, north western tower and spire. In the west end of the nave, a 5 light window with cusped flowing tracery, above a pointed half window with 3 trefoils. 3 light north aisle west window with trefoil over in the gable. The 4 stage tower has plinth, moulded string courses, plain parapet, stepped corner buttresses with crocketed and embellished gablettes, richly crocketed corner pinnacles. Set back spire with 3 tiers of alternating lucarnes. Deeply moulded and pointed doorway with paired shafted reveals with annular capitals. Inner doorway with filleted orders and shafts with foliated capitals. In the porch 2 grotesque gargoyles and an angel corbel. In the belfry stage, paired lights with shafted reveals. On the north side a 2 light window with deeply moulded surround and reticulated tracery. Above a small trefoil headed light. A similar light also on the east side. The north aisle has a fleuron frieze and 2 two light reticulated tracery windows. The east end matches the west. Gabled vestry with external wall stack having octagonal shaft with decorated cornice and a 3 light east window. To the chancel a 4 light window with elaborate flowing tracery. In the south wall 2 two light windows with flowing tracery and a small pointed priests' door. In the nave eastern gable a pointed half window with cusped trilobes. The south side of the nave has 4 three light windows with flowing tracery, subdivided by stepped buttresses. In the frieze runs an inscription recording the dedication of the church in 1845. Interior. 4 bay north nave arcade with filleted quatrefoil piers with annular capitals and double chamfered arches. Matching chancel arch. In the east wall a shouldered doorway giving access to the pulpit, and a similar door on the south side. In the north wall of the chancel a matching doorway with curved steps to the pulpit, and a further entrance to the vestry. Stained glass in east window by T. F. Curtis 1918. Fittings. In the east wall 2 commandment boards in Gothick panels. Timber glazed screen around entrance porch with trefoil headed panels. Octagonal font with shield side panels and clustered shafted stem. In the north wall of the chancel an elaborate wall memorial to William and Nicholas Clarke Stevenson, founders of the church, in the form of a Gothic tomb recess with cusped ogee arched top with crocketed canopy and pinnacles, d.1843 and 1844. Deeping St.Nicholas was first formed as a parish in 1846, following the draining of this area of Fen.

Listing NGR: TF2167016169

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 198122

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing