NORTON PLACE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: I

List Entry Number: 1359423

Date first listed: 25-Oct-1951

Statutory Address: NORTON PLACE

Map

Ordnance survey map of NORTON PLACE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1359423 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Nov-2018 at 06:06:45.

Location

Statutory Address: NORTON PLACE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Lincolnshire

District: West Lindsey (District Authority)

Parish: Bishop Norton

National Grid Reference: SK 97207 90891

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SK 99 SE BISHOP NORTON

3/1 Norton Place 25.10.51 G.V. I

Country house. 1776 by John Carr for M.P. John Harrison; with minor alterations of c.1830 by Lewis Vulliamy for Sir Montagu Cholmeley. Ashlar and slate roof hidden behind parapet. The main front is 2 storeys with attics, in 7 bays arranged 2:3:2, the central bays being slightly advanced under a pediment, with plinth, ground floor sill band, dentillated cornice and parapet with balustraded panels. The central half glazed panelled double doors are approached up 4 steps and flanked by single tall glazing bar fixed lights, the whole composition divided by columns in antis with in front a pedimented porch supported by 2 free standing Doric columns. In the pediment are the weathered coat of arms of the builder. To either side are 3 glazing bar sashes with deep architraves and pediments. The first floor has a central Venetian window with semi circular head, the lights divided by Ionic columns with flanking columns in antis, the whole supported on scrolled brackets. To either side are 3 glazing bar sashes with moulded architraves and cornices. In the pediment is a garlanded occulus. The left hand side front is of 3 bays, the central one being canted through 3 storeys and having before it a single storey pedimented porch with urns and within fine double doors with eared wooden surrounds having egg and dart moulding. The porch is a later addition, added by Lewis Vulliamy. The rear service wing is also in ashlar and has a 2 storey hipped range of 3 bays and a 2 storey single bay with tripartite window and a Diocletian window above. The interior is remarkably fine with original plaster ceilings and chimney pieces surviving in each room. The octagonal side entrance hall contains a fireplace with fluted pilasters, dentillated cornice and original iron firebasket, fittings and marble slips. A lobby leads to the oval stair hall which has 3 doors between which are 2 hemispherically headed niches with fluted plaster heads. The floor is in square limestone panels with black circular marble inlays at the angles. The cantilevered stone geometric stair has an open string with paired serpentine wrought iron balusters interspersed with floriate arabesques and wreathed handrail. The underside of the landing has a dentillated and anthemia frieze. To the first floor are 8 recesses of which 5 are doorways and 3 blank, all have glazed traceried fanlights and are linked by a continuous impost frieze. Above is a cornice with urns, flutes and anthemia above which the roof rises to a ribbed vault, decorated with paterae, with at the centre a glazed light. The Drawing Room has a white marble fireplace with fluted pilasters and moulded cornice. In the flutes and frieze are scagiola panels in dark green with a frieze of wreaths and urns. The decorated skirting and dado rail have above full height plaster panels rising to an elaborate cornice of acanthus scrolls, urns and entaglios of classical figures. The ceiling decoration is a delicate plaster oval with fan corners, the whole filled with Adam style scrolls and garlands. The doorcase to the front Hall has an elaborate fluted and moulded plaster architrave with Corinthian capitals and a frieze of urns, scrolls and a central oval panel of Venus. The 6 panels of the door are decorated with Greek Key design. The floor is oak parquet arranged in diagonal panels. The Front Hall has full height plaster panels, a dentillated cornice and a concave lozenge ceiling centre piece. The Dining Room has a white marble fireplace with Ionic pillars in veined yellow marble, supporting fluted frieze and dentillated cornice with at the centre a classical urn, and tazzas to either side. The plaster panelling above the dado rail is decorated with harebell garlands. In the breakfast room is a further classical marble fireplace and the door leading to the stair hall has a fluted overdoor and is flanked by single hemispherically headed niches with plaster cornices, decorated with paterae and flutes.

Listing NGR: SK9720790891

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 196756

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing