CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1359439
Date first listed:
30-Nov-1966
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, LINCOLN ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1359439.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 12-Nov-2019 at 05:34:28.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, LINCOLN ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Lincolnshire
District:
West Lindsey (District Authority)
Parish:
Welton
National Grid Reference:
TF 01141 79765

Details

TF 07 NW WELTON LINCOLN ROAD

5/83 Church of 30.11.66 St. Mary

G.V. II*

Parish church. C13, 1768 by Thomas Bell, 1823 by E. J. Wilson, 1912 by Temple Moore, and C20 minor alterations. Squared limestone rubble with slate roofs. Western tower, nave, chancel, 2 aisles, south porch, north vestry. The 3 stage western tower of 1768 has off set belfry stage, embattled parapet with angle pinnacles. Gothick west door with crocketed ogee head supported on half round side shafts. Above is a 2 light C19 window and above again an ogee headed plaque recording the building in 1768 by Thomas Bell, builder and a clock with black face set in a lozenge shaped surround. To belfry stage louvred semi-circular headed lights to all faces. West end of north aisle has a 2 light C19 window, and beyond is the gabled north vestry by Temple Moore containing a heavy 3 light window with large mouchettes and quatrefoils. To left a plaque recording the vestry construction in 1912 in memory of Bishop King. Beyond again a C20 addition. To east side a 2 light window with a C20 fixed light and to left a planked door. The north aisle has 3 sets of reset C14 3 light windows with cusped heads and hood moulds. The north clerestorey has 4 paired lights with hollow chamfered reveals and cusped heads. The east wall of north aisle has a smaller 2 light C14 window matching the rest. The chancel terminates in a facetted apse with 2 light ogee headed cusped windows. The south side matches the north side. The gabled south porch has outer moulded 2 centred arch with hood, side benches and inner pointed doorway. Interior: the late C13 north and south arcades of 3 bays each with octagonal piers and capitals, double chamfered arches with hoods, ammonite and head labels to south and human head to north. At the east of south aisle a C19 moulded doorway to present vestry, and in the north aisle the entrance to the former vestry. In the chancel a further double chamfered arch on the north, the eastern respond of which has a half round capital with foliage. Traces of red paint above the respond. The chancel has an elaborately painted C19 king post roof with texts. The reredos, screen and rood are C19, and in chancel are 2 reused C17 bench-ends. The late C18 octagonal font stands on a tall pillar and has trefoil decoration to the panels. In the north aisle glass d.1917 by Burlison and Grylls to the founder of the Bluecoat School, Lincoln, and another of 1919 to the RAF at Scampton. Hatchment on west wall of nave and a holy water-stoup beside the lectern.

Listing NGR: TF0114179765

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
196954
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 09 Aug 2007
Reference: IOE01/16722/21
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr James Brown. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].