CHURCH OF ST PETER

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1359511

Date first listed: 30-Nov-1966

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST PETER, CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PETER
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1359511 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Nov-2018 at 12:18:01.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST PETER, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Lincolnshire

District: West Lindsey (District Authority)

Parish: Friesthorpe

National Grid Reference: TF 07202 83412

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TF 08 SE FRIESTHORPE CHURCH LANE

4/4 Church of St. Peter 30.11.66 II

Parish church. C13, C14, C15, 1841 restoration and rebuilding by Young of Lincoln. Coursed limestone rubble, slate roofs having stone coped gables. Western tower, nave, chancel. The 3 stage C15 tower has a plinth, 2 string courses, pyramidal roof and angle buttresses. The 2 light C15 west window has pointed head containing perpendicular panel tracery. Above is a rectangular light and to the C19 belfry stage paired pointed lights on all 4 sides. The north wall of nave has 4 pointed C19 windows with buttresses between. In the chancel north wall is a recut early C14 window of 2 cusped lights with trefoil in the head. The east window is also early C14 recut of 3 cusped lights with 2 trefoils, a quatrefoil, single chamfered surround with hood mould. The chancel south window matches that to the north but with human head labels. The south wall of the nave has 3 C19 windows and buttresses, with a recut C19 doorway and 2 original though repositioned human head labels. Interior. The tower arch is double chamfered and dies into its reveals without capitals. In the tower chamber is a tablet recording the rebuilding (sic) of the church in 1841. The chancel arch is early C13 with keeled responds and double chamfered' with hood mould and human head labels. Fittings are all C19 including the font, although there is the base for a medieval octagonal font in the tower. There are two First World War memorial tablets fixed to the wall: one is to two soldiers, and the other is to the five sons of Reverend and Mrs Amy Beechey who saw eight sons go off to war and only three return. Their memory is also recorded in a stained glass window installed in 2016.

Listing NGR: TF0720283412

This list entry was subject to a Minor Enhancement on 8/1/2018.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 197130

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing