CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1359526

Date first listed: 30-Nov-1966

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, KINGSTHORPE LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST ANDREW
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1359526 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Nov-2018 at 19:31:05.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, KINGSTHORPE LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Lincolnshire

District: West Lindsey (District Authority)

Parish: Stainfield

National Grid Reference: TF 11190 73208

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

STAINFIELD KINGSTHORPE LANE TF 17 SW (south side) 5/51 Church of 30.11.66 St. Andrew G.V. II*

Parish church. 1711, C19 by James Fowler. Red brick, Flemish bond, coursed limestone rubble, limestone ashlar dressings. Plain tile roof with stone coped gables with ornate C19 south finial. North bell turret with lead covered ogee cap. North bell tower, nave and chancel in one, orientated north to south instead of west to east. Ashlar dressed brick plinth on north, south and west sides. North front with small bell turret with square plan breaking through north gable with broad kneelers. Round headed narrow light set high up on north side and 2 slit lights on both west and east sides set one above the other. Clock above on west side. Moulded ashlar string course above with bell openings on all 4 sides, each a single opening with chamfered ashlar surround and round head. Projecting ashlar moulded eaves above and ogee cap. North walls flanking tower with ashlar long and short quoins. Single round openings flank tower, blocked with later brickwork. Broad ashlar string course to west of tower only. East side of coursed limestone rubble with no features. South front with tall chimney on east corner and ashlar pilaster with moulded abacus on west corner. C19 rectangular west window of 3 cusped ogee headed lights and hood mould. Broad ashlar string course above. Ashlar sundial above. 3 bay west front with slightly projecting central bay with ornate ashlar doorway with scrolled broken pediment supported on ornate scrolled brackets. Moulded doorcase with shouldered architrave and panelled doors. Ashlar plaque above with cartouche inscribed 1711. Doorway flanked by single round headed windows with moulded ashlar architraves and raised keystones. Ashlar pilastered north-west and south-west corners. Ashlar dressed parapet with central small plinth supporting ornate C19 finial. Interior C19 porch. Early C18 pews with carved bench ends with shell shaped finials. Doorway in north end with panelled door. Above, a large Commandment board with flanking ionic pilasters festooned with fruit and leaves, segmental head with 2 round headed needlework panels. C18 polygonal, panelled pulpit. C19 altar rail. C20 chair, lecturn and font. Helmet, gauntlets and sword said to have belonged to the Wild Man of Stainfield who was murdered by the Hardy Gang.

Listing NGR: TF1119073208

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 197219

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing