CHESTNUT LODGE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1359563
Date first listed:
07-Mar-2002
Statutory Address:
CHESTNUT LODGE, 48, PALACE ROAD, LONDON, SW2 3NJ

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHESTNUT LODGE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1359563 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Sep-2019 at 09:25:16.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHESTNUT LODGE, 48, PALACE ROAD, LONDON, SW2 3NJ

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Greater London Authority
District:
Lambeth (London Borough)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 31025 72935

Details



963/0/10113

PALACE ROAD 48 Chestnut Lodge 07-MAR-02 II House, later used as a youth club and latterly for storage. Built in 1905, designed by architects Bennett and Davies of Princes Mews, Westminster in an Arts and Crafts style reminiscent of Voysey for W H Grant. Roughcast with Cumberland slate roof with roughcast chimneys and roughcast windows. Decorative dated cast iron rainwater heads. Two storeys and attics, carefully asymmetrical with irregular fenestration of casement windows with leaded lights.

EXTERIOR: Principal front faces north east with end two storey gables, the left side gable with four-light casement to first floor, the ground floor a curved bay of seven lights. The right gable has seven-light curved bay to both floors. Centre has two tiers of flat-roofed dormers , roof sweeping down to verandah on four wooden supports. Behind the verandah is a right side casement window with letter box, leaded light window and oak panelled door to return. South east side has ground floor bay. South west side has gable and catslide roof to left hand side, five casement windows, including two end ones which wrap around the corner, tall staircase window, bays to ground floor each side and central wooden verandah.

INTERIOR: Front vestibule has green glazed tiles and inner door with stained glass panels. Staircase Hall has full height painted panelling with plate rail, built-in china cupboard with serpentine shelves and fireplace with overthrow with brackets and shelf and diamond and heart panels. Staircase has three arches supported on square piers and flat balustrading with square newel posts. Former Dining Room to north east has beamed ceiling, oak panelling with strapwork panels, stone fireplace with four-centred arch and strapwork panels with built-in bookshelves and built-in sideboard. Former Drawing Room to north east has large inglenook with panelling, cupboards, built-in seats and three-sided display cabinet and a further china cupboard with glazed doors and built-in window seat. Rear room has built-in bookshelves with glazed doors. Service staircase of dogleg type with diamond-shaped balusters. Some original fireplaces and alcoves to upper floors.

HISTORY: Built for a W H Grant of Crowhurst Road in Brixton whose family lived there until 1934. From then until 1954 the owner was Albert Stokes. Subsequently it was acquired by Lambeth Borough and became a Youth Club.

[Pevsner and Cherry "Buildings of England" London 2: South. 1983. P394.]

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
488503
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Cherry, B, Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: London 2: South, (1994), 394

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].