THE HORN AND TRUMPET PUBLIC HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1359579

Date first listed: 08-Mar-1974

Statutory Address: THE HORN AND TRUMPET PUBLIC HOUSE, 12, ANGEL STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE HORN AND TRUMPET PUBLIC HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1359579 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Nov-2018 at 02:40:48.

Location

Statutory Address: THE HORN AND TRUMPET PUBLIC HOUSE, 12, ANGEL STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Worcestershire

District: Worcester (District Authority)

National Grid Reference: SO 84889 55068

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WORCESTER

SO8455SE ANGEL STREET 620-1/12/21 (North side) 08/3/74 No.12 The Horn and Trumpet Public House

GV II

House, now public house. Origins of 1646-7 with mid C19 encasing and stables and later additions and alterations including those of mid-C20 and restorations of 1992. House built for Robert Sterrop. Painted brick to first floor, otherwise stucco over brick with renewed plain tile roof and pinkish-brown brick off-centre left and right end stacks with oversailing courses and pots, partly renewed. Probably originally a 2-cell lobby entry plan. 2 storeys with attics, 4 first-floor windows. Ground floor has pilasters with horizontal rustication and fluted cornices to ends and to either sides of entrances and windows. 2 entrances: off-centre left and right, both 6-flush-beaded-panel doors. Windows to ground floor: 8/1 sashes in shallow reveals under cambered arches with central fluted keystones and fluted panel over; 2 continuous cornices with frieze between, to upper cornice are pediments over doors. First floor: second opening blind, otherwise 8/8 flush sashes under cambered arches. 3 attic roof dormers with casement windows. Left return: entrance double 6-raised-and-fielded-panel doors between similar pilasters and with chanelled flat arch and fluted keystone. End pilaster and with similar cornices over, between 2 blind openings. 3-light casements in gable. INTERIOR: ground floor retains transverse beams with ovolo moulding and step and ogee stops. Panelling said to be re-used from demolished building in Leicestershire. First floor has original panelling to front 2 rooms (originally one room), in places with dentil frieze and with panelled doors with HL hinges and plaster frieze with acanthus scroll and wheat sheaf design mostly to front wall and in places to side walls. Deeply-chemfered transverse beams; further axial beams. Victorian cast-iron fireplace. To room at left are transverse and axial beams with ogee stops and plaster reeded cornices at either side. Some 6-raised-and-fielded-panel doors. Roof has queen post trusses and panelled divides. 2 levels of purlins and exposed rafters. Cupboard with plank door. Plaster and wallpaper fragments indicate that this was once inhabited, the roof space is floored with wide planks. Noted as having jowled post supporting the collar of an interrupted tie beam roof. HISTORICAL NOTE: c1350 the site was used as a burial ground for victims of the Black Death. Before the Reformation it formed part of the Blackfriar's orchard, then it came into the city's ownership. In 1646 the land was leased from the city by Robert Sterrop, Mayor who built a dwelling on the site, the earliest datable brick house in the city (Hughes) which, in 1678, had 8 hearths; much of the fabric of this house is intact and there was probably a rear wing. About 1800 the pub was bought by the landlord of The Horn and Trumpet (then opposite) who brought the name with him. Above right entrance to main facade a huge 6-sided carriage lamp, remade in 1992 imitation of the lost original. Information supplied by Marston's Brewery. Occupies a prominent corner site at the junction of Angel Street and Angel Place, forming a good group with the Corn Exchange, Angel Street, No.23 Angel Place and Former Congregational Church (now Tramps Discotheque), Angel Place (qqv). (Hughes P: Buildings and the Building Trade in Worcester 1540-1650: PhD thesis: 1990-: 164,188,429,456-460).



Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 488487

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing