CHURCH OF ST PETER

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1359687
Date first listed:
03-Feb-1967
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PETER
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1359687 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Sep-2019 at 05:54:37.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Lincolnshire
District:
East Lindsey (District Authority)
Parish:
Candlesby with Gunby
National Grid Reference:
TF 46876 66826

Details

TF 46 NE GUNBY GUNBY PARK

5/29 Church of St.Peter

32.67

G.V. II*

Parish church. Rebuilt 1870 in Early English style by James Fowler. Squared limestone rubble, Collyweston slate roof with decorative clay ridqe tiles. Western tower, organ chamber, chancel, south porch, vestry. 3 stage squat tower with stepped corner buttresses, offset top stage on moulded corbels, battlemented parapet, corner griffins. 2 light bell openings with trefoils in chamfered surrounds. On south side a facetted stair tower with Caernarvon arched door. West lancet, above a rectangular light. On the north side of the nave a pair and a single lancet, with quatrefoils. In the north chapel a further similar pair of lights to the west, with trefoil over and a lancet to the north. On the east side a further lancet, and 2 doorways, one arched. The chancel east window is of 3 cusped lights, with geometric head. In the chancel south wall are 2 lancets. The nave south wall has a pair of 2 light windows, one with trefoil the over with quatrefoil. The qabled south porch has pointed moulded outer arch, dyinq to reveals. All principal openings have hollow chamfered hoods with foliated stops. The inner doorway is chamfered and pointed. Interior. Double chamfered tower arch on moulded corbels. The chancel arch is similar but with elaborate leafy corbels. On the north side of the nave is a low Tudor arch to the organ chamber. In the chancel is a pair of pointed doorways on the north side and a trefoil headed piscina. Minton tiled floor to chancel and aisle. The chancel east window has fine early C20 stained glass, to commemmorate Marqaret Massinqberd d.1906, of Gunby Hall. The central light contains a portrait of the deceased. The fittings are all C19, including octaqonal font in C13 style with blank pointed arcades to base and stone pulpit. Monuments. In the nave a pair of fine brasses beneath a double canopy to Thomas Massinqberd of Gunby and Johanna his wife, d.c.1405, and one to Judqe William Lodynton d,1420, feet on a doq, under a cusped oqee canopy. In the tower a brass plate with Roccocco surround in rectangular frame to Thomas Massingberd aged 47 years, d.l552, and 2 C19 marble wall plaques.

Listing NGR: TF4687666826

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
196030
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 22 Nov 2001
Reference: IOE01/05889/19
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Brian Harris. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].