Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1359700.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 02-Mar-2021 at 23:37:28.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

East Lindsey (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TF 44405 73375


WELL WELL VALE PARK TF 47 SW 4/44 Church of St. Margaret 3.2.67 G.V. I

Parish church. Built in 1733 in the form of a Palladian Temple on a direct axis to the front door of Well Vale House. Altered late C18, restored 1959. Red brick in English bond, painted ashlar dressings and stucco. Westmoreland slate roof with lead dressings, boarded bell cupola, with shaped felted dome, dating from restoration. Single cell plan with eastern Tuscan tetrastyle portico, consisting of 4 ashlar columns, supporting large pediment on plain brackets. Diamond set stone flagged floor to portico. On the inner stuccoed wall 4 pilasters frame the 8 panelled doorway with moulded architrave and cornice, flanked by single blank openings with moulded architrave and keystone. The added sexagonal bellcote over has weather boarded base and 6 Tuscan columns support cornice and cupola. The side walls of the nave have plinth and deeply overhanging eaves with plain dentillated brackets, 2 semi-circular headed windows with key and impost blocks, later Y tracery and leaded lights. In the west end a Venetian window with broad dividing pier. Interior. Egg and dart moulded rear arches to windows. Walls have late C18 swagged frieze and dentillated cornice, elaborate ceiling with plaster roundels of bound stems, harebell swags and cherubs. Fittings. C18 tiered box pews to either side of nave, with fluted pilasters to front panels. Similar pews to either side of altar. Early C18 altar rails with knopped and turned balusters. C20 panelled oak reredos with central niche, all in C18 style. Double decker panelled pulpit with tester having triglyph and dentillated frieze. Stair balusters match altar rails. Panelled oak gallery hung with Royal Arms of George II and C18 funeral hatchments, one of 1733 to Mrs. Anne Bateman of Wellvale House. To either side of the altar are semi-circular headed commandment boards with moulded plaster surrounds. Source: Country Life, Dec.21, 1972.

Listing NGR: TF4440573374


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
'Country Life' in 21 December, (1972)


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 29 Nov 2007
Reference: IOE01/17031/32
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Peter D. Dewar. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].