CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1359727
Date first listed:
03-Feb-1967
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, HOLE GATE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST ANDREW
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1359727 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Sep-2019 at 23:56:07.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, HOLE GATE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Lincolnshire
District:
East Lindsey (District Authority)
Parish:
Halton Holegate
National Grid Reference:
TF 41794 65100

Details

HALTON HOLEGATE HOLE GATE TF 46 NW (south side) 3/14 Church of St. Andrew 3.2.67 II* Parish church. C14, C15, porch rebuilt 1831, aisles rebuilt 1846, tower and east end rebuilt in 1866 by J. Fowler under supervision by G. E. Street, chancel restored 1894. Limestone ashlar, squared greenstone rubble, ashlar dressings, lead roofs. Western tower, clerestoried nave, aisles, chancel, south porch. 3 stage early C15 tower, largely rebuilt in C19, with stepped corner buttresses, moulded plinth and string courses, embattled parapet with corner pinnacles. To belfry stage a 3 light C15 louvred opening with deeply moulded reveals, brattished transom and cusped heads to trefoil lights. On the second stages on all but east side a niche with crocketed canopy and pinnacles. To the west side a small C19 doorway beneath the C15 4 light window with wave moulded reveals, brattished transom and panel tracery. C15 north aisle with plinth, parapet with fleurons and small heads in the cornice. Stepped buttresses. To the west side a 3 light window with cusped heads to the lights. In the south side 3 similar smaller windows with slightly 4 centred arched heads. North doorway with flat head and quatrefoils in the spandrels, dated on the hood mould 1846. Clerestory in limestone ashlar with 8 C15 3 light windows with cusped heads. In the east end of the aisle a C15 4 light window with fine moulded mullions and ogee heads to the lights. Chancel north wall has 3 pointed windows of 3 lights with C19 tracery. Beneath the central light a small C15 doorway with square surround and leaves in the spandrels. 4 light C14 east window with curvilinear tracery. South chapel has C19 east lancet and 2 three light C19 south windows. The south clerestory matches that to the north. In the south aisle are 4 two light C19 windows. Fine south porch, gabled, with angle buttresses, double quatrefoil frieze, corner pinnacles and central cross fleury. Moulded pointed outer arch with rectangular label hood and quatrefoils to the spandrels. Above a blank niche with small vault. Beneath the gable a shield bearing initials and a barrel. Simply chamfered pointed C14 arch to inner doorway. Interior. 4 bay early C15 nave arcades with octagonal piers and capitals, bell moulded bases, moulded pointed arches. Double chamfered arches, and large chamfered reveals. C15 chancel arch matches arcades. At the east end of the south aisle a small doorway and 3 light window into the vestry/south chapel. In the chancel a 2 bay arcade to the south chapel matching nave arcades. At the easternmost end a small pointed moulded doorway leads by a passage, containing C19 piscina with trefoil head to the vestry. Nave roof was replaced in 1846, reusing some earlier work. Brattished arch braced tie beams with bosses and tracery to the spandrels. Chancel has painted ceiling of 1894. Fittings. Poppy head bench ends presented in 1846. Stained glass in east window by Burlisson and Gryll 1898. C14 font base with recut plain bowl. Monuments. In the south aisle a cross legged effigy of a knight with chain mail surcoat, possibly Sir Harry de Halton, c.1338. Fine shield bearing lion rampant. Beside the effigy a mid C13 black Purbeck marble slab with marginal inscription to Walter de Bec d.c.1250. On the south wall a small brass to Bridget Rugeley d.1658.

Listing NGR: TF4179465100

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
196137
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 12 May 2001
Reference: IOE01/03663/05
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Scarbro. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].