RAILWAY STATION

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1359780
Date first listed:
16-May-1984
Statutory Address:
RAILWAY STATION, CHAPEL STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of RAILWAY STATION
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1359780 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Sep-2019 at 08:52:20.

Location

Statutory Address:
RAILWAY STATION, CHAPEL STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Lincolnshire
District:
West Lindsey (District Authority)
Parish:
Market Rasen
National Grid Reference:
TF 10706 88750

Details

IN THE ENTRY FOR THE FOLLOWING

TF 1088 - 1188 CHAPEL STREET 2/6 Railway Station

II The description shall be amended as follows:

Railway station. 1848 for the Great Grimsby and Sheffield Junction Railway, later Manchester, Sheffield and Lincolnshire Railway. Single storey 11 bay facade, red brick with simplified pilasters and entablature in yellow brick. Nicely moulded segment-headed windows, sashed, and string- course connecting them at sill level, all of stone. Central entrance bay projects, with coupled Doric stone pilasters either side of door, and entablature above. Broad doorway with moulded surround and bracketed cornice above. Small segment headed windows at sides of this projecting bay. Slate roof, partially renewed with modern tiles, yellow brick chimneys in pairs with stone cornices. The platform front is faced entirely in yellow brick. From left to right 4 windows, segment headed 12 pane sashes, 6 light bay windows with three stone mullions, door, two windows, door. The front is unaltered apart from a small canopy added when the trainshed roof was removed. Interior. The booking hall and the men's lavatory are both unaltered. The opposite (London) platform has a blind wall with segmented headed recesses. Timber passenger shelter added when train shed roof removed. The train shed was originally covered by a trussed roof spanning the tracks and resting on the top of the walls.

------------------------------------

TF 1088-1188 CHAPEL STREET 2/6 Railway Station

II

c. 1850. Single storey 11 bay facade, red brick with simplified pilasters and entablature in yellow brick. Nicely moulded segment-headed windows, sashes, and stringcourse connecting them at sill level, all of stone. Central entrance bay projects, with coupled Doric stone pilasters either side of door, and entablature above. Broad doorway with moulded surround and bracketted cornice above. Small segment headed windows at sides of this projecting bay. Slate roof, partially renewed with modern tiles, yellow brick chimneys in pairs with stone cornices. Only this external facade survives, canopies etc all demolished.

Listing NGR: TF1070688750

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
196438
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 02 Oct 2007
Reference: IOE01/16921/13
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr James Brown. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].