CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1359789
Date first listed:
01-Nov-1966
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, ST. MARYS LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1359789 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Sep-2019 at 13:32:22.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, ST. MARYS LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Lincolnshire
District:
West Lindsey (District Authority)
Parish:
Claxby
National Grid Reference:
TF 11124 94583

Details

TF 19 SW CLAXBY ST. MARY'S LANE

9/2 Church of St. Mary 1-11-66 G.V. I

Parish Church; C13, C15, C16, 1871 restoration by James Fowler of Louth; squared coursed ironstone rubble, ashlar dressings, slate roofs with stone coped gables and cross fleury to ridges. Western tower, nave with clerestorey, north and south aisles, south porch, chancel, vestry. The 3 stage tower has a plain chamfered plinth, 2 chamfer moulded string courses and roll moulded cornice to battlemented parapet, which although much restored dates from C15 and has 8 pinnacles and 4 gargoyles. Corner buttresses to 1st stage only. The south side 2nd stage has a C19 pointed 2 light window. The bell openings to each face are C15 2 light openings heavily recut, with hood moulds. The west side has a C19 3 light window with trefoil heads, and a plain light and similar 2 light window to south side in 2nd stage. The north face is as the south plus an angled stair turret. The north aisle has a plain chamfered plinth, a C19 lancet west window, a blocked C13 north door with chamfered arch and plain hood mould, a 3 light C16 window with shallow 4 centre head. The vestry is C19 with a single door and light. The chancel east window is of C19 geometric design. The south side has 2 recut late C13 trefoil headed windows with hood moulds and C19 label stops. The south aisle has C19 lancet west and east windows, a C19 2 light south window and a C19 south porch. The clerestorey to both north and south faces has 2 two light recut C16 windows. The south doorway is C15 with concave moulding. The door has interesting C19 ironwork decoration. Interior: The 2 bay C13 north arcade has octagonal column and responds with double chamfered arches. The 2 bay south arcade dates from 1871 and is in the Early English style. The C13 tower arch has triple chamfers and the C13 chancel arch is double chamfered. The chancel imposts are both carved heads, that on the north is of a man pulling his mouth open and on the south he sticks his tongue out whilst both hands hold up the arch. The fittings, stone pulpit, oak screen and font are all from the C19 restoration. The chancel is floored with Minton tiles and has a fine C19 stone reredos with gilt mosaic decoration. The east wall of the nave has C19 painted designs and texts and the stained glass also dates from the restoration. The large C19 oil painting is one of a group of seven in this area (cf South Kelsey of Normanton). In the north aisle are 2 C19 painted iron candle brackets. Monuments: In the chancel under a recess on the north side is a C13 tomb slab with a quatrefoil headed cross and a shield, said to be the tomb of the founder Brayboeuf. On the south side is a tomb erected in 1605 to John Witherwick d.1595. It consists of a tall base chest, decoratd with a pattern of circles and rectangles. Above the chest is an inscription panel and on this are 2 kneeling figures of a man and a woman facing each other across a prayer desk. Behind the woman is a further female figure, now headless. This group is flanked by single Doric columns supporting an entablature which has recesses filled with coloured glass. The frieze is also decorated with coloured glass circles. Above is a shield with flanking scrolls. Beyond are 3 brasses, to Fitzwilliams Armiger d.1634, with a shield and helmet over the inscription; to Jane Burnaby d.1653, and to Mary Monson d.l638 with a scrolly shield over the inscription. Marble tablet to the Rev. Richard Dixon, d.1819.

Listing NGR: TF1112494585

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
196484
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 27 Nov 2001
Reference: IOE01/05889/35
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Brian Harris. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].