CHURCH OF SAINT PETER

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1359817
Date first listed:
01-Nov-1966
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF SAINT PETER, CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF SAINT PETER
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1359817 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Sep-2019 at 00:10:40.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF SAINT PETER, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Lincolnshire
District:
West Lindsey (District Authority)
Parish:
Great Limber
National Grid Reference:
TA 13501 08628

Details

TA 10 NW GREAT LIMBER CHURCH LANE

5/108 Church of St.Peter 1-11-66 G.V. I

Parish Church, C12, C13, C14, C16 and various C19 alterations and additions, including a restoration of 1875. Coursed ironstone and limestone rubble, limestone ashlar dressings, some yellow brick repair and patching, slate roofs. Western tower, nave, chancel, south and north aisles, south porch, vestry. Plain tower with C14 plinth and battlemented parapet. Stepped corner buttresses. All faces have early C15 2 light belfry openings in ashlar with ogee tracery. South face has a C14 door with a triple chamfered arch and hood mould. Over the door is a C14 niche with an ogee head and hood mould. Beneath the belfry light is a narrow triangular opening. On the north side is a clock with an open face. In the east side of the tower an earlier nave pitch in white limestone rubble can be seen. The north aisle is of square ironstone with a triple moulded plinth, the top moulding being at window sill level, slightly splayed cornice, stone coped gables. West window is a C15 3 light with cusped heads and panel tracery under a semi circular head and hood mould. The C14 north door, blocked in brick, is a small pointed opening with a hood mould, flanked by to the west a 3 light C16 window with panel decoration and hood mould and to the east 3 similar windows, with some C19 mullion replacement. The C16 east aisle window has 3 lights with a pointed head. The north nave wall is in yellow brick and blank, with stone coped gables and a cross fleury at the ridge. The chancel has been partly rebuilt in the C19 and has a plinth and a deep roll moulding at sill level with a C19 2 light north window. The vestry is a C19 addition and has a similar roll mouding, west door, north and east windows. The east end of the chancel has stepped corner buttresses, a splayed plinth and C19 roll mouldings. The east windows are C19 lancets. The south wall of the chancel is completely C19 in limestone ashlar with a single lancet and a 2 light window. The south aisle has a plinth matching that on the north aisle. It has been raised, partly in brick at the ends, and has a corbelled out parapet with saddleback coping. The east window is a 3 light C14 window with curvilinear tracery largely recut in the C19, and a hood mould. The south wall has 3 three light C16 windows with hood moulds. That on the east has brick patching to its reveal, the westernmost one is a C20 restoration. Beyond the porch is a further similar window and the west window is a similar 3 light window. The nave is as the north side. The south porch has a reconstructed Cl2 opening with a single chamfer. There are side benches and single lights to both sides. The south doorway is late C13, moulded and pointed. Interior has 4 bay C14 matching arcades, with octagonal piers and double chamfered arches. The south aisle has no eastern respond, the arch terminates over an ogee headed doorway to the rood loft stairs. The south aisle has a cusped ogee headed piscina, 2 statue brackets and an opening at a high level in the rood loft. North aisle has an ogee headed aumbry, a cusped headed piscina and a statue bracket. The nave roof is dated "1847 GF". The tower doorway is C14 and single chamfered. The chancel arch has C13 semi circular responds and a double chamfered C14 arch. The details of the chancel are C19 in the Early English style with aumbry, recesses and vestry door. It has a Minton tile floor. All fittings including the rood screen are C19. The stained glass in the chancel is 1858 and 1862. There are some fragments of Medieval glass in the nave. The font is a C14 octagonal bowl resting on an octagonal base with dogtooth decoration on an inverted round column with 8 attached shafts with fine late C12 stiff leaf capitals. At the west end of the nave is a group of early leaf marble wall tablets. At the west end of the south aisle is a black marble tablet, to the Rev. T. Walkden, he south aisle is a

Listing NGR: TA1350108629

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
196655
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 04 Sep 1999
Reference: IOE01/00562/25
Rights: Copyright IoE Ms Janet Tierney. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].