THE MANSION

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1359928

Date first listed: 02-Nov-1954

Statutory Address: THE MANSION, 21, WESTGATE

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE MANSION
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1359928 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Nov-2018 at 11:15:19.

Location

Statutory Address: THE MANSION, 21, WESTGATE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Lincolnshire

District: East Lindsey (District Authority)

Parish: Louth

National Grid Reference: TF 32327 87208

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WESTGATE 1. 1348 (South Side) No 21 (The Mansion) TF 3287 2/2 2.11.54. II* GV 2. Probably built circa 1600, it was remodelled late in the century. It is a 2-storey T-shaped red brick house with steep pitched early tiled roofs. The East-West wing has a double roof with very wide gable ends flattened at the top and having a stone coping. Massive chimneystack set in the valley. The road front, above and set back from the road is symmetrical, 7 windows 3-1-3 to both floors, shallow central breakforward, Deep coved plaster eaves with a semi-circular pediment. Stringcourse between storeys. The tall hung sash windows which retain the heavy glazing bars are in wide wooden cases flush with the wall face and have segmental-arched heads, no cills. Band between storeys. A Stable wing adjoins the West end of the road front, one storey rising to 2 at the centre, late slate roof, coming forward to the pavement, and at the East end of this is the entrance to the house: outer opening semi-circular-headed with moulded archivolt flanked by 2 pilasters which have stone capitals and bases. Springing from these is a semi-circular arch of raised brick and above that a curving stone cornice. Within the porch approached by a flight of stone steps, is a square-headed doorway with moulded architrave and door of 6 fielded panels, above it a semi-circular window. An inner doorway has a wooden case, 2 Ionic pilasters on high base supporting a broken triangular pediment and above the opening of this is a small circular window with archivolt and keystone from the sides of which are swags with pendants. Fine interior with much late C17 work. NMR. Nos 17 to 21 (odd), including The Sycamores, form a group.

Listing NGR: TF3232787208

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 195051

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing